melt pool turns brown

I've been making container candles for a few months, using 4627 wax and 16 oz. apothecary jars. when i make lighter color candles the melt pool turns a brownish color when it cools and doesn't look very good. A 4630 wax candle did the same thing. is this normal for this wax when you don't use a lot of dye?

Ronzo:confused:

I am not familiar with your wax, but it is mostly likely a chemical reaction of the fragrance oil to the heat. And it would turn the wax brown in most waxes.. not just yours. I use soy and I just live with it.

I've seen it with those waxes as well as others. I think it might be more noticeable with slightly more translucent container waxes like the ones you're trying, but it happens more widely. Like R.S., I've been figuring it's probably the FO responsible for the discoloration but I never did any testing to confirm that. You could possibly try the UV color stabilizer from candlesupply.com and see if it helps.

I recently spoke to a wick supplier and they told me that it was probably my wicks. At that time I was testing eco's and they have a slight curl to them and they said it was heating the wax too hot therefore scorching it and discoloring it. I have since tested with other wicks with the same FO's and no more discoloration problems.

We have had this happen with the 4630 and LX wicks - usually with our heavier fragrances, like Vanilla Bake from Cajun, and little or no color added.

Interesting theories regarding the FO and/or the wicks. I always wondered about what would cause it.