wicking for 4045H

Hello everyone. I am using 4045H mottle wax and am making votives. I have tried the zinc core wicks, a couple from fil-tec, and HTP 41 and just do not get a great scent throw. Does anyone have any suggestions on something to try?? I just ordered a different mottling wax, the IGI1274. I get a great throw on my pillars using LX wicks so you would think......I have tried LX 8, 10 and now a 12 with no luck on the votives. Thanks for any help!!!!

The wick does play a role in fragrance throw from a votive. You need one that doesn't fizzle out, makes a decent melt pool, and doesn't burn with too tall a flame.

However, fragrance starts with the fragrance oil. Votives are small and you usually need 6% or around 1 oz per lb to have a chance at getting a good throw. Even then, you have to be selective with the FO or you might only get a light throw.

It's easier to get high fragrance levels into paraffin when you use additives. For mottled votives with plain paraffin you might not always be able to use as much fragrance as you'd like.

Thank you! Yes, this wax will not hold much fragrance. If I go hardly any over 4% tops it bleeds like crazy. I must say, in desperation last night I tried an LX12 and it has the best throw yet. After about 30 minutes I could actually smell it in an enclosed room. Thanks for the tip on the flame too high. I got that with a lot of the trials too. To get a better throw on the mottle wax, since I need to go on and use it, is there a recommendation of what to add to get a better throw? Like maybe stearic or vybar? The mottling does not really matter. I have read 1 TBL per pound and then read 3 TBL per pound, and on the vybar too much is a killer. I think I answered my own question, though.....start at 1 TBL and go from there? Thanks so much for the help!!

Stearic can help control the mottling and bleeding without eliminating the mottling effect, but it doesn't really get you where you want to be. Vybar will eliminate the mottling but it's definitely an additive that can help you achieve higher fragrance levels. 1 teaspoon per pound of wax is a reasonable starting point for testing.