Latest 464 Testing

Ok, so after my last test session, I adjusted according to Stella's suggestions and I am still going to throw myself off my stool! *L*

So I melted enough wax/FO to test six 6 oz tumblers. I will admit that the FO has vanilla in it, so I used the following: CD8, CDN8, ECO8, CD10, CDN10, ECO10.

The 8's eventually drowned out (the ECO 8 started to get smothered by mushrooming during the 3rd burn; the other two began drowning out during the 2nd burn). So there was never a FMP acheived.

The 10's did slightly better, but the CD/CDNs began to drown out, as well. The ECO10 had a high flame, but kept a 1/4" FMP... but began being smothered by the 3rd burn.

I also tried larger RRDs and HTPs with no success. So... it seems I will have to try the 12's and 14's... but I am afraid it will be too hot for the jars. *sigh* We shall see.

Will also try a different FO using the same test range (8s and 10s) before ruling them out.

Oh, and I burned for 3 hrs during each session, instead of 4.

Hi, Kimmeroo!

Sorry, it is 2-7/8" diameter x 2-3/4" high 6 oz Libbey jar

http://www.candlechem.com/images/Libbey%20Round%206%20oz%20Jar.jpg

IMO...I don't think you are wicking high enough..especially with the cd's. Here is a chart, it has helped me out through the years and I love it...for the cd's I would try out a 16...I have tested the 11oz. libbey tumbler with HTP's and it uses a 126! So...check the chart,cross off what you have already tried and go from there!

http://www.wicknclip.com/recommendations.html#p700

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

Yeah, I was thinking that this was a case of wicking up due to the vanilla. Please candleg*d! *L*

I think the other fragrance did well with the CDN 8 or CDN 10.

Man, I admit that this "hurts".

*back to my stool!* (Thank goodness that it is not too high from the floor... and that there is an area rug there to cushion the fall. *L*)

BBL!

I was thinking that this was a case of wicking up due to the vanilla.

Vanilla doesn't always mean a higher wick...

The wax you are testing may not require as large of a wick as the stuff I use (NatureWax C3 + USA). When testing a new wax, it's good to try a range of sizes and not just depend upon the container size and previous results with other waxes. You can use that knowledge as a very general guideline, but there are a lot of differences in the performance and wicking among all the different soy waxes available.

I am so relieved that the stool is low to the ground and on a rug!! Otherwise a mouthpiece should be worn to prevent knocking your teeth out when you throw yourself off (or in my case, fall off).:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hey, hate to butt in on this thread, but I'm also testing wicks in 464, and I noticed the LX30 I had in a 4" dia. jar scented with Vanilla got a huge 'shroom and started wanting to drown after about 3 hours, while an LX28 in the same size jar with Lavender was doing fine at the same point. I've bought Beanpods that have done the same thing, but I don't want mine to! I didn't realize different fo's made that much difference, but of course, if they didn't, this would be all too easy, wouldn't it.

I didn't realize different fo's made that much difference, but of course, if they didn't, this would be all too easy, wouldn't it.
If it doesn't make ya wanna tear your hair and run screamin' down the street nekkid every now and then, it just ain't any fun!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Catlover- OMG, I am having the same issue. I tried Citrus Strawberry in the same jar and the CDN 8 and CDN 10 worked better (still got shrooms, but not as bad), but this fragrance I made had vanilla and OMG... those two wicks nearly drowned and shroomed like crazy! So I am back to the drawing board.

Stella- I was trying a range, but I didn't think I needed to go high because of the 8/10 decent results.... fooled me! *L*

And yes, I usually fall off, too, but I figured throwing myself off the stool in a fit of frustration would hurt less than jumping off a cliff somewhere. *L* (Thank goodness for the braids- they protect the hair... and only fear of the cops keeps me running in the street clothed. *LAM*)

Is this normal:

So I tried CD12-14 and CDN12-16. NONE of these are working... and I doubt further burns will help. They are not burning "hot" enough to get past a 1" burn pool after two 3 hr burn sessions. So it seems that I am going to try the remaining CDN18-22, just for kicks, at this point. *sigh* Or should I not bother?

I tried the ECO10 again and it did ok (I trimmed the wick lower, by accident, and it burned better). I think I will try the ECO 14 and see how that works. If it is too much, I know to get some ECO12s (I actually will need to look at trying these, again).

Ok, as of today, I have one tester burned to the end and it looked good from my (inexperienced) POV:

ECO 10 - No MR, steady flame that was either low (mid-way before FMP and a bit after) or slightly high (closer to the bottom). Glass was luke warm and got warmer as it neared the end; was comfortable to pick up and move. Seemed to burn faster than the other wicks and, at times, I felt lke I couldn't smell the scent (could be candlenose). This is what the end result looks like: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=338137274&albumID=963670&imageID=11368946

CDN 12- No MR, steady flame that was either low (mid-way before FMP and a bit after) or regular. Glass was luke warm and was comfortable to pick up and move. Has lots of hangup on sides that seems as if it is slowly melting, but I am not sure if it will melt in time for the wick to reach the bottom (and the glass get too hot), Still had problems where I couldn't smell the scent (could be candlenose). This is what the end result looks like: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=338137274&albumID=963670&imageID=11368948

Both have been burned at the same time for the same length of time. The other sizes I am still burning, but there is SO much hang up on the jars and does not look like it will get better.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I know this is an old post, but thought I would try. I am testing in 464 and bought ECO 6 & 8 wicks in an 8 oz mason jar (diam 3" according to CS). They seem too cool and are mushrooming. Can you suggest other wicks that are for the veggie wax? I see CDN 12-14 mentioned here. Are there others for veggie that I should buy and test?