food coloring as body colorants

Guest Ox_B_love

Guest Ox_B_love

So i heard you can use food coloring for lotion and soaps. Howver is this true because for some reason i dont believe it. I also heard it fades soaps like the color wont stay. How would it fade just by sitting there?? Anyways the whole question is can you use food coloring in melt and pour bases and them turn out great?? I have ordered white m&p base and goatsmilk melt and pour base. :D *super banana*

Guest Ox_B_love

yeah i just made clear melt and pour soap today with neon food coloring and all turned out great !!!! So i guess i trust the food coloring now lol

I've tried food coloring and didn't much care for it. I had memories of my mother using it for sugar cookies when I was a kid and running around for days afterwards with reddish-pink or pale green colored hands. Whereas this didn't happen with the food coloring when I tried it, I used tiny amounts because I was really afraid of it happening and didn't get a good enough color from it.

I LOVE using mica's, they're really easy to mix in and give a fun little sparkle type of effect, the problem is I can hardly ever find them for affordable prices. I have contemplated using some of my mineral make-up stuff (as I went on a shopping spree once and bought some that I never used) but am kind of freaked about doing that too.

FD&C color is great! It's a little more expensive then some of the other liquid colorants that are available (I started with Oregon Trail's liquid crystal stuff but had to use tons of it to get a good color, ultimately, it just wasn't cost effective) but you use the smallest amounts.

Also for easier coloring, use clear M&P soap. It takes color easier and uses less for the most part too.

Guest Ox_B_love

ha its funny you said use clear soap because i did and the food coloring worked out great in it. now im scared to use it in the 6lbs of non clear m&p i bought last week lol. I know what your saying though. Micas seem sooo expensive just to tint some lotion and soap thats why when i heard about the food coloring i wanted to try it even though i heard it fades and that it wont turn out good. It worked great in my soap and in my lotion but i havent tried white soap yet so now im scared lol. I keep seeing FD&C but what is that exactly, where can i find it??*getdown*

When I first tried m&p several years ago I used food coloring, and it faded within a few days. Looked great at first but then started disappearing, and unevenly at that. I had ugly, mottled looking soap because it faded more in some spots than others.

I have contemplated using some of my mineral make-up stuff (as I went on a shopping spree once and bought some that I never used) but am kind of freaked about doing that too.

Around that same time I scraped a pale lavender colored eyeshadow I wasn't using into some lavender scented bath salts. It worked great!