CDN12 and it tunneled....

I finally decided to give the CDN's shot since I hear such great things about them in the forum. I bought some in the classies. Tried one today in a 16oz smooth side mason, C3, 6% AJ&P FO and after 45 minutes it tunneled and went out. Previously I tried an ECO10, what I typically use in my jars but I wasn't getting a great throw. Next I went with a CD12, throw about the same but mp small...went up to a CD14, throw and MP alot better but flame a bit too big and jumpy. When the CDN's arrived in the mail today, I was really excited that these were going to be the ones....I will say the flame seemed small but the throw seemed good before it died. So what do you think, would a CDN14 work better in this jar...2 3/4 dia....of course, I don't have any of those :angry2: This is why I always end back with the ECO's and their shrooming problems...

I understand these were purchased from Wick-it...I think that's one of the "good" places to get them from based on what I've read in the forum.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have....

Thx

I tried cdn's in a side by side test and they didn't have the scent throw that the eco and lx did. I used 415 wax and the same jars with the same fo. I asked everybody who came through the door compare the throw from these two and the cdn never threw as well as the other two. That's just my experiment others will probably disagree.

Container shape makes a lot of difference in how wicks perform.

I use 8 oz. widemouth canning jars, which are 3" (inside diameter) and use CDN 12s or 14s in them. The container is wider than it is tall and has slightly tapering straight sides, so it is easier to wick.

Your 16 oz. masons have a "shoulder" near the top of the container (unless they are wide-mouth jars - the 16 oz. version of mine, in which case they'd be 3" wide). Is the opening 2-3/4" or is that the measurement at the widest part of the container? Deep containers with shoulders have different air currents in the container than do squat, straight-sided containers and I have found them more difficult to wick.

I have never had any problems with CDNs from WickIt.

RE: the ECOs... If you have good success with a wick, stick with it. 'Shrooming happens with many different wicks and is often a function of the kind/amount of FO rather than the wax or wick. Without additives, C3's FO load is 5% or less (according to the manufacturer's information sheet). I use C3 and 6% (about 1 ounce per pound of wax) but I also use USA as an additive... CO and other oil additives add to the total amount of oil in the wax - if you are using any, perhaps that might be related to your 'shrooming and drowning issues?

I tried cdn's in a side by side test and they didn't have the scent throw that the eco and lx did. I used 415 wax and the same jars with the same fo.

ECOs, LXs & CDNs do not have the same numerical sizes, so perhaps your wicking was off for the CDNs. If YOU are happy with ECOs and LXs in the wax that you use, then I think you should stick with what is working for you. :)

Thanks very much for the feedback....

Stella...you're correct, my jars have the shoulder so the opening is 2 3/4" but then it goes to about 3"wide and is about 5" high....I think this is why I get quite a bit of flickering because of air flow. It's also why I was wondering if you can buy the vent lids for these jars. I posted a note in the Business forum but haven't gotten any feedback as yet. As a test I put a metal spatula over the top of one while burning and the wick calmed right down. As for the mushrooming with the ECO's...I use 6% max and cut down on some FO's because of seepage...never heard the max was 5%. On Candlescience's site they indicate up to 9%....but I'm sure if the Tech Spec say 5%, it's five. I typically don't use USA but have in the past and haven't really noticed a difference on the shrooms...

In any event, I guess I'm sticking with the ECO's because they work really well except for the shrooms 95% of the time. Out of 30 FO's, I've only had to go up or down 1 size a few times.

So anyone looking for CDN 12's, I have 99 left out of the 100 I bought, just PM....I'm sure they'll work great in the right jar.