wax temp rising

I'm wondering if this is normal. I've been doing small 1 lb batches...melting in my presto pot up to the recommended temperature, then when I pour into the pyrex measuring cup it continues to rise another 10-15 degrees.

The wax is low in the pot so the thermometer isn't dipping into too much wax. (Does that make sense?) I do stir the wax to distribute the heat and make sure it's touching the thermometer.

I have found that when I melt small amounts like that, my presto heats the wax so fast that the thermometer doesn't register the temp that fast. So actually the temp of your wax isn't rising, your thermometer is just catching up. You will probably want to turn off the pot sooner or turn it down low. You could just melt that small amount in the microwave for 30 sec. at a time untill you get to the desired temp. It is easier to take the temp of the wax when that small of an amouont is in a cup rather than in the larger presto pot.