Need help with muscle rub

Rosies

I need to make a muscle rub for myself but don't want to buy anymore ingredients than I already have to use in it except I had to order the menthol. Hope to get it soon.

This is what I have in mind to use but I don't know what percentages to use.

Camphor

Menthol

Clove bud oil

Lavender EO

Aloe gel

Maybe jojoba oil - Why jojoba? I thought it might help it to absorb into the skin. What do you think?

I'm looking for suggestions.

I looked up Tiger's balm and it has both camphor and menthol listed at 11% but that seems like a lot to me. I don't want something that's going to set me on fire. LOL Just something to ease the pain.

What other ingredients do you have on hand? It's hard to suggest something when you say you want to use what you have, but we don't know what you have.

Jojoba is good, as is dimethicone. Sweet Almond Oil and Apricot Kernel oil may be good choices as well.

For a first try I wouldn't go more than 2-3% on both the camphor and the menthol - you can always increase them with a later batch.

Spacegirl,

I'm looking for suggestions for percentages of these ingreidents;

Camphor

Menthol

Clove bud oil

Lavender EO

Aloe gel

I have several oils which I'll list but I see no need to use a lot of inactive ingredients.

SAO

CO

FCO

OO

GSO

Jojoba

MO

Castor

AO

RHO

Maybe a few more.

Remember that your "inactive" ingredients are there for a purpose - to provide slip and glide and also so that your actives don't overwhelm the skin. Is that clove bud oil a carrier oil or an essential oil? (I don't use it so don't know myself)

You aloe gel is most likely water based with will not behave nicely with your oils so unless you want to make an emulsified gel or lotion I wouldn't use it.

There are some massage oil recipes available in the Recipe section (I've searched for them many a time and sketched out recipes that I don't have on hand right now because I'm not at home). Take a look at what they consist of and modify from there if you really want a recipe to work from.

really - keep your "actives" to 10-15% total (or less - I'd start with less) and work from there.

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider using emu oil. Besides being an excellent moisturizer, it can relieve arthritis pain, and it has anti-inflammatory properties. It seems to be useful for different skin conditions like: psoriasis, eczema, cuts and burns, it is very good for mature skin. Also because it penetrates deep in the skin it is used as a penetration agent for other actives.

As to your questions about how much to use of the EOs . . . for therapeutic usage, you may use 60 drops EOs to an oz of carrier oils.

• 1 year later...
Guest Expressive

Where would the best/cheapest place be to get the Camphor for a rub?

From what I gather, it is not the oil they use but rather the waxy substance or the crystals. I don't see any regular/trusted suppliers for this.

Thanks.

Edited by Expressive