PITA Webmasters

SharonA

Remember a while back I posted about my website guy no longer wanting to take anything but cash?? Well, I went to the bank and got cash for 3 months of webhosting, drove to his house, and paid him. No problem except that it was a little inconvenient for me, the customer!

Here's an update.

I needed something changed and it took 2 weeks to get a response from him. He finally made the changes then informed me he would no longer be providing hosting after February 26th. I said no problem, just send me the log in info for the hosting so that I can get the files of the site downloaded to transfer. That was on Feb. 3rd. No files, no response to emails, only a hang up when I called him 3 days ago. I have no idea why he will not provide the information I need to take care of getting my sites transferred. Bottom line, without that info, I have to start all over again.

I had mentioned that he has health problems so I'm really trying to be considerate of that. The only thing is that I honestly think he is waiting to die. He won't go to the doctor yet he is not able to work or probably anything else for that matter. I did say on the phone that I was concerned for him and also that if something happened to him, I would need the info to move my sites. He yelled at me saying, "I've taken care of that if something were to happen." I responded with, then, send me the information. That's when he just started mumbling that he could not do this right now and hung up.

I can't decide if I want to cry, yell, or go to his house and cause a scene.

Any advice?

I would go to his house. I would also take my husband with me. Kindly tell him that you are there to pick up the information and you don't plan to leave until you get it.

Bonnie

Good response. I am the administrator of my website, but I have a web person as well. I can do the same changes she does, so I have all the power, really.

Is this guy doing the actual hosting? Or is a company doing that? I have a hosting company....quidnunc. I can change passwords, etc. I also use filezilla for my ftp program, which is a free program that you can download.

Once you get this all handled, you may want to think about changing your passwords.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I know doing websites is not that fun sometimes and can make your brain a limp noodle!

Thanks for the advice and help. I would love to go by his house and just be able to say,,,,, never mind.....asshole!

Yes, he is taking care of the hosting. That's the part I can't get him to provide me access to. I have access to the admin section of the site. I don't think it will do any good to change that password until I get the site off of his hosting account.

Thank God my domain is registered with another company so that I don't lose it. I have already changed those passwords so he can't point it somewhere else.

None of this makes sense. The site is of no value to him so I really don't know what his problem is.

Anyway, thanks again.

I have access to the admin section of the site. I don't think it will do any good to change that password until I get the site off of his hosting account.

I'm not understanding this part. If you have access to the admin section, then you can change the password even while it's on his hosting account. Then he won't be able to change it before you can get to it and lock you out or rechange it after you've changed the password.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head. People will do crazy things to be vindictive. I'm not saying he's going to do this. There may be a perfectly good reason why he's not getting back to you, I don't know.

if you can get into the admin part and or the cpanel you can make a backup of the entire database, and then ftp it to your comp and save all the files

its usually recommended that you do backups of the database, incase of server crash, so if he was doing backups he should have saved files which he shouldve forwarded to you regardless since its your info

Hold off on that!!! He did not shut them down.

I sent him a threatening email this morning letting him know if I did not have the info by 3 today, I would be contacting other sites that he hosts to let them know his business practices of late. Then when I did not receive a confirmation email on an order, I went to both sites and they were down. I called him but got his voicemail. While I was talking with the guy that's trying to help me out with new hosting, if I ever get the info, my crazy guy called me. Funny thing, it was around 2:30 that I got the call. He said he was trying to get all the encoding done so that the site could be moved and worked on easily. I don't know if that was BS or not, but I think he knows I'm pissed now.

I'm giving him a couple of more days before I beat down his door.

Does this make sense to anyone??

I wrote:

I still don't quite understand what it is that you are having to do. Any other time the transfer has taken place within 24 hours of the request. I would like a better explanation in writing what it is you are doing exactly and why the site cannot just be transferred.

His response:

I am trying to get everything encoded so that you can be able to make modifications and I am able to maintain code ownership and making sure that the code will only run on your site. It is a little problematic for me right now but it is progressing.

He is yanking your chain. My background is in web development and he's giving you a long fish story.

There are ways to encrypt code but for the most part it's kinda dumb. You as the owner of the site should have full control over the content (it belongs to you). Unless he's done some serious custom work then you retain all ownership.

I would start to find a good attorney...

Does this make sense to anyone??

I wrote:

I still don't quite understand what it is that you are having to do. Any other time the transfer has taken place within 24 hours of the request. I would like a better explanation in writing what it is you are doing exactly and why the site cannot just be transferred.

His response:

I am trying to get everything encoded so that you can be able to make modifications and I am able to maintain code ownership and making sure that the code will only run on your site. It is a little problematic for me right now but it is progressing.