I think I figured it out

TexasBrat

I was having trouble with my soaps smelling bad and only some and at first I thought my oils were bad or one. I haven't made a batch of soap without fo so I don't know how they smell. That said, when I take out soap for colorant I usually take out the unscented part add the color and add swirls or whatever. I have noticed that those soaps tend to get dos and have a weird smell. When I add color to the entire batch I don't have that problem. My conclusion is when you don't add fo to the unscented part when you add to the rest and it cures, the scent of the unscented oil becomes dominant and kills the fo in the rest of the soap. This time I took out the oil from my scented oils and will see how this plays out.

Well they aren't smelly other than not smelling like the fo I put in them. That is the only thing that sets the ones that keep their scent to those that don't. I am going to experiment and see what happens when I make one batch but split it and do one with fo and one w/out the fo for the colorant.

Colorant will not affect the scent at all. You need to sniff your soaping oils before pouring to ensure that they are not rancid; bad oils will stink like dirty socks.

e

It's not the colorant at all, it's the fact that I use the unscented oil for the colorants. I have used the same oils for batches and now that I look back it is the soaps that I took out the unscented oils and colored them and added them back into the soaps. The two batches that I did this with are like this and the batch that wasn't is just fine. That is why I'm going to experiment as I have no other clue why this happens.