question about wicking

Hi I have a question. I wanted to experiment with making wax food type items. I had some small reproduction enamelware cups and I poured J50 wax in them scented cappaccino brulee and made whipped wax on top to look like whipped cream. They are really cute and realistic looking. I burned one and it burned very well until it got about halfway down. Then I noticed that I had a small amount of black soot forming around the rim of the cup. Now I am a marathon burner however I had been blowing out and trimming before I relit. I used a 51-32-18z wick. I am very new to this so wicking is new to me. Is the wick my problem? I dont sell anything at all I only make for me because I love candles and making them has been so much fun for me so no worries there. I appreciate any insight into this. Oh by the way the cup is 2 5/8 in diameter and 2 3/8 tall and holds 4oz.

That's the wick I would have started with also. If you have a complete melt pool (nothing stuck on the edges) and you have black soot on the rim, try going down to a 44-24-18Z. I used that size last year in some Choco-latte items (did the whipped thing on top too) and the 44Z worked perfectly for those.

If you don't have a good, complete meltpool with the 51Z I wouldn't recommend going down a size, because you'll end up with wax left on the sides of the cup. In that instance, I'd change to a different brand of wick, probably a CD7.

DanaE