Quick Books Help with Sub Account..

islandgirl

Need a little help here.

I created a new account under expenses called " Travel Expenses".

I want to move some of my accounts and make them sub accounts under the new "Travel Expenses".

What I am having trouble with is moving the accounts that are already in place to make them sub accounts.

I do not want to create a new account for turnpike fees, gas, travel meals, I just want to move it as a sub account under Travel Expenses.

For some reason I can't seem to do this, it wants me to make a new sub account.

How do I move my already travel expenses recorded and put them as sub accounts???

Any ideas?? TIA

• I go into my chart of accounts, click on the new "Travel Expenses" that I made and it opens up.
  • Then on the left side of the screen, there is a box for Related Activities that says, Create Sub account, I click on that.
  • Then it opens up and says says account name for the sub folder.When I click on the box on the right that says "Select from example" , nothing but an empty box shows up. I can type in a new folder name, but I want an existing expense to move as a sub folder under "Travel Expenses.
  • It won't let me choose from my expenses to make it sub expense??

You should be able to edit the "sub account". In the edit mode you should be able to click make this a sub account of.....

I don't have QB in front of me right now so I can't walk you through the step by step process.

Or you might try opening the chart of accounts and dragging the account to the account you want to make it a sub account of.

It won't let me do that..

This should be simple to do but it won't work when I click to pick the sub folder. The drop down is blank???

Could be that I am using the simple start version and it just won't allow it..

Thanks, If you think of anything else, let me know..:smiley2:

1. Open the chart of accounts and highlight on the expense account you want to add sub-accounts to.

2. To the right hand side of the screen, towards the bottom you'll see "related activities". Click create a sub-account (make sure the parent account is still highlighted).

3. Under the account name, type in the name of the account.

4. Click save and close.

5. Then right click on the accounts that you wanted to move and click delete account, ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BALANCE IN THERE YET.

6. If you have a balance in those accounts do a journal entry to move the balance from the parent account to the sub account(s) you created.

7. When you get the balances moved to the sub-accounts you can right click on the parent accounts that you moved the balances from and click inactive.

This version of QB is a little more limited on the manipulation you can do so you have to create the new sub-accounts and move your balances.

Thank you so much Suzanne..

Number 6. If you have a balance in those accounts do a journal entry to move the balance from the parent account to the sub account(s) you created.

That was what I was not sure of.. But that makes sense..

Greatly appreciate your help!! :yay: THANK YOU!!!!

Guest LightofDawn

I think there is an easier way.

Click on "Lists" (top left hand corner of screen)

Click on "Chart of Accounts"

Find the account that you want to move. For example, if you want to move "Meals" to a subaccount of "Travel Expense" Highlight "Meals".

In the bottom left of the "Chart of Accounts" window you will see a tab that says "account" click on it to get a drop down window. Select "Edit account" from the drop down. This should bring up a box with all the account information in it. There should be a box that you can check that says "Sub Account" Check this box then select the subaccount you want to use. In your case it would be "Travel Expense" Click save and close. This should fix it.

HTH

Thank you so much Suzanne..

Number 6. If you have a balance in those accounts do a journal entry to move the balance from the parent account to the sub account(s) you created.

That was what I was not sure of.. But that makes sense..

Greatly appreciate your help!! :yay: THANK YOU!!!!

Glad I could help. :smiley2: