Pillar help please

I do rustic mottled pillars. Sometimes they come out with little pit-looking places on them, especially on the top and sides of the first layer (I do them in three layers). Anyway, does anyone have any idea what causes this? Sometimes it does not do this and sometimes it does. I cannot pin point an exact thing I do different. I heat the molds with a heat gun and pour first layer at 180 (have upped starting layer with 190) and then each layer 10 degrees hotter. Thanks for any help!!

Oh thank you!!!! I did think of dust in the mold but I make sure to clean really well with mineral spirits and wipe completely dry....hey, could it be the mineral spirits do you think? Come to think of it, sometimes I run them through the oven and just wipe with a paper towel? Maybe we are on to something!!!!! Gosh I will try one with and one without. I have been racking my brain over what I do different!!!!

Look down the sides of your mold etc. These look like shiny air bubbles. Just poke at them with your skewer or something when the wax is still liquid. They will come up.

It's possible that your mineral spirits could do that. Depends on how well you're getting it out of your mold after you wipe them down and how dusty it may get. I'm not terribly convinced that this is your problem. I think it would be more along the lines of something, but this can cause the air bubbles too so I mentioned it.

I stopped tapping my molds and just went to running my skewer around the inside of the mold and poking any strays that stayed behind. Hope that makes sense to you.