Newbie with wick question, what a surprise !!

The facts: I used C-3 wax, a apothacary jar(12 0z,rounded square, @ 3.5 inches across.) I used a Eco 12 wick (as per CS wick guide, Blueberry Cobbler(LS). I burned it at work, so I could watch it, then gave it to a friend to take home and test and let me know how the burn went. (Yes, shes a very good. friend who also helped me test my votives and tarts) Anyway she said it burned fine, full melt pool, great CT & HT. However approximately after burining about 2/3 of the way down it tunneled, and the wick burned all the way down to the metal tab. I noticed in the office that the wick kinda had a big flame, and mushroomed a little. What would cause this ? Should I wick down, or try a different kind of wick ? The same time I made that candle, I made the same using the same wax, container, Cinna-vanilla scent, but I wicked up, this one had alot of hang on the sides.

On a good note, they both smelled great, and I really like the C-3 wax. I really enjoy making candles, yes....verry addictive !:)

Thanks,

Deb

Deb, my very best suggestion to you as a newcomer is to do ALL your testing yourself. Once things start looking okay to you, THEN ask a trusted friend to give you some feedback. There's just too much room for misinterpretation any other way.

The diameter container you have chosen is not the easiest to wick. Some people would suggest double-wicking, others would suggest single wicking with a larger size or different type of wick. When learning, it's best to make things as easy on yourself as possible. While we can make recommendations to you, there's nothing that can replace your own testing with your wax, containers, FO, etc. Buying a sampler of different size & types of wicks is a good investment so that you can see which combinations work for you the best. HTH :)

Maybe 2 eco 4?? I don't have much experience with that wax so I can't be of much help. My apothecary jars are 4 in diameter that I use. I tested c-3 a bit but I always had problems so I switched to another soy. Hopefully you will get it all figured out!

I don't have any experience with that wax, but in this size jar, with my wax, I would start DW'ing with ECO 6, adjusting the wick size accordingly. But you need to figure out what will work for you. Use our suggestions just as guidelines/starting points. You might find our suggestions are right on, or they don't work for you.