CS Moonlake Musk no hot throw????

smells fantastic cold. my son just called and told me the tester i gave him has absolutely no hot throw. i used an ECO wick in GB464, he said it was burning nice, just no throwl!

CS gives it 3 leaves, so it definitely throws in soy. anyone know which one??

TIA,

eileen

hi meredith,

This was the first burn, about 2 hours in. my son has tested before, so he knows what he's doing. same room, etc. that he's tested many others.

i'm using a roly poly glass, 3 inch diameter. 9% load, light color, ECO 10. that may sound small, and before Christmas i had been using bigger wicks (ECO 12 and 14), but they were burning a bit fast and hot. i scaled down to a 10 in my CS cranberry marmalade, F&M and several others. the pumpkin souffle i left at a 12. these were all at 9% too.

do you think a 12 would help? i have some of the other waxes that CS sells, CB135 and CB advanced, 444 and i think i have some 415, but not positive. i hate to start with another wax, but i really love this fragrance!

thanks!

hi darbla,

from what i've learned on this forum, 464 doesn't need much cure time. i poured this one at least 4 days ago. i did have to let the CS frankincense and myrrh cure about 2 weeks before i got good throw, but that's the only one till now. pumpkin souffle definitely mellows with time, but throws great from the beginning.

i'll keep it and try it again in a week or two. meanwhile i guess i'll try another one with a bigger wick. i'm hoping meredith has a suggestion, and if not someone esle who uses 464 and has also used this FO.

thanks for answering!

eileen

This is one that CS hit right on the nose with the leaf rating. If their ratings went higher than 3 leaves this one would definitely get more.

I've burned a single votive using Ecosoya PB and 6% MM and it stunk up the whole upstairs. Did I mention that MM is one of my "gag me" scents? It's just one of those that I can't stand the smell of. If it wasn't such a great seller I think I'd dump the entire bottle down the drain. LOL

Hi!

Well, I never tried this one, but I have had to let some of my scents cure (by accident). I made my first candle and the scent was GREAT cold, but when I lit it (after 72 hrs), I could barely smell anything unless I was up on it and even then, it was light (even after leaving the room and coming back).

I re-lit this candle almost 2 wks later and it was MUCH stronger. It was a scent blend of 3-leaf scents, so I wouldn't be opposed to allowing it to sit for a few days (eventhough I am a newbie).

HTH!

ETA: flightoffancy- First, I LOVE your cat (I have an orange, short-hair, fat tabby, myself)! And I have to agree that I HATE this scent as well. Something is off about it, so I think it will just sit in a box, unless I give it to someone.

hi meredith,

This was the first burn, about 2 hours in. my son has tested before, so he knows what he's doing. same room, etc. that he's tested many others.

i'm using a roly poly glass, 3 inch diameter. 9% load, light color, ECO 10. that may sound small, and before Christmas i had been using bigger wicks (ECO 12 and 14), but they were burning a bit fast and hot. i scaled down to a 10 in my CS cranberry marmalade, F&M and several others. the pumpkin souffle i left at a 12. these were all at 9% too.

do you think a 12 would help? i have some of the other waxes that CS sells, CB135 and CB advanced, 444 and i think i have some 415, but not positive. i hate to start with another wax, but i really love this fragrance!

thanks!

Try bumping the wick up a size if the one seems too small and take the fragrance load down to 8%. If you think the other wicks burn too hot, try just taking the fragrance load down to 8%. Sometimes just taking the fragrance load down a bit can help. If you have other wicks other than the ECOs, I'd recommend trying them as well. I have some scents that just throw better with a different wick than most of my other scents. Hang in there and don't give up. :)

thanks everyone for your input. meredith and FOF, do you cure as a regular thing with your wax?

caramel, i think in a way it's worse to have a wax that normally doesn't need a cure time for a good throw. when we hit one that does, it throws us off..... or at least me! :cheesy2:

meredith, i have some CSN wicks, if i have enough FO (got some samples during the 99 cent sale) i'll try one with the larger ECO and one with the CSN, both with an 8% load.

thanx again to everyone!!!

eileen

[snip..]

caramel, i think in a way it's worse to have a wax that normally doesn't need a cure time for a good throw. when we hit one that does, it throws us off..... or at least me! :cheesy2:

[snip...]

thanx again to everyone!!!

eileen

I would probably be this way if I weren't a newbie. At this point, I am just happy when something goes right or corrects itself. *L*

But I am happy that my new wicks came. I will be testing HTPs, CDs and CSNs to see which I like and post results for feedback. I am hoping something goes right. *S*

You're welcome and thanks for sharing! I enjoy hearing from everyone!

• 4 months later...

shame on me, i took the easy way out! my son dug some wax out and put it in a melter. the scent filled up the whole living room! i decided to stick to the melts for a while, then just never got back to testing. i'm getting ready to test 444, i'll try it again in that.

i got sidetracked learning about CP soap, and i finally made my first batch a couple of days ago. maybe i can get back to some candles since i now know that lye water in a covered container in the bathtub with the door closed will never become soap. :laugh2: i also learned that it doesn't have teeth and if treated carefully, is actually pretty easy to use!

i'll give it a try tomorrow with the 444, maybe i'll have better luck. i'll definitely post the results. i would like to get a candle to throw the scent, i actually like it a lot.

ei

What were the results? I'm having the same issue and I'm wondering if it's cure time. I've tried LX 12. LX 14, ECO 2, ECO 4, and ECO 6...

Hmmm, this one throws wonderfully in my wax and jars. I use colonial jars, in my own soy wax blend (no paraffin), 8% FO load and DW'd with ECO 6.

What amount of FO are using, what jars, and what size wicks?

Ditto in my 6006! 1 oz PP. Throws me outta the room!

8 oz. or 16 oz. square mason jars, cd14, 1 oz PP.

Carrie