Standard Wick-Wax vs. Veg. Wick-Wax

Can different types of waxes that are coated on wicks cause them to burn differntly even though they are the same size? As seen below at wicks unlimited.

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_waxes.php

Here is my problem. I have a few different zinc wicks from CS and some I had around from GL. When I was testing a f/o I tried the GL 44-28-18z (it has a thin off-white wax coating) the HT was awesome but to flame was way too big. It would act like a torch when relited and soot bad. But then when I tried the CS 44-24-18z ( it has a thick white wax coating) it would fizzle out like it is too small.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Or do you use wicks that have a veg. wax coating and know if they seem to burn differently than the standard? Tia ; )

Yes, i know exactly what you are saying. I am testing ECO wicks right now. I like the way they burn in a larger jar, but I hate the way on the 2nd burn the flames shoot up high out of the jar and it smokes a little.

I wonder if there is a true self trimming wick on the market.

And to answer your question. I think wicks do something vary from one supplier to the next.

Thanks TxGirl, it's nice to know I'm not going crazy alone. I've tried using the Eco's but I just couldn't get past the way it acted up on the relight for the 1st minute.

Carole - I started blending my own a year ago after having inconsistencies with GL 70/30.

It seems strange that the 44-28 from GL has a 2 in. flame and the 44-24 from CS drowns out. I had some 51-32 from CS and tried them just to see and it burns just right but no ht like the 44-28 had. I'm ready to pull my hair out. If I can keep my sanity until Monday I think I'm just going to reorder the zinc series from one supplier.