Web Domain Name question

scrubzz

I have a question for some of you web gurus

I am not quite ready to start a site but have a name that I want to register for future use

I have not researched fully which host I would use when the time comes but I want to go ahead and register my domain name - to insure I will have it when I am ready

Unless I am mistaken, some places will register the name but technically they own it not you - as long as you are letting them host your site you are ok - but if you go with someone else there can be a problem

I guess my question is this - Where can I register my name so that it is mine and I have it when I am ready for it?

thanks

I have a question for some of you web gurus

I am not quite ready to start a site but have a name that I want to register for future use

I have not researched fully which host I would use when the time comes but I want to go ahead and register my domain name - to insure I will have it when I am ready

Unless I am mistaken, some places will register the name but technically they own it not you - as long as you are letting them host your site you are ok - but if you go with someone else there can be a problem

I guess my question is this - Where can I register my name so that it is mine and I have it when I am ready for it?

thanks

I've never heard of not being able to register a doman until you're ready to use it. We use godaddy for all our own domains as well as the majority of our clients. I have several domains there now that I've registered a few years back and am just waiting for the time to make the sites to go w/them.

You should have no trouble registering whatever domain you want now for use later. If you run into a registrar that tells you otherwise, go somewhere else :)