firestarters leaving spot o wax

Hi, last night I used 3/4 firestarters I have made to start fire in fireplace.. but I can see where they were, they leave tracks of their presence.. in my fireplace now there are spot of wax.. I mean not much, it's just a darker spot on the fireplace surface and if I touch it my finger lightly stick..

How come this? Aren't they supposed to burn completely?

A lady wants a pack of those but if fireplace becomes "dirty" I don't think I'll give her.. am I missing something?

TIA

I have made firestarters with wood chips in a muffin pan, with paraffin poured in. When I tested one, I set it on bare concrete, and lit it. It worked just fine, but it did stain the concrete. It might help to use paper muffin liners or a paper plate under the firestarter. HTH :grin2:

I only use 1 firestarter at a time don't really need multiples if the wood is seasoned...i do have a metal grate in the fireplace but i usually put a small square of cardboard under my firestarter - usually a cut up pizza box or cereal box

for my firestarters I use paper muffin cups in pan, wax, and large wood shavings