Pillar wicking.. Flat braid vs square braid?

I am in the midst of testing pillars and wicking, but I am curious to hear what the experience has been for others that have tested and compared these two wicks... I am testing just a 3x3 pillar made with Peak's pillar blend and I currently have the square braid. In my opinion, it looks ok, might have have to wick down abit or switch out the wick to the flat braid. But primarily I want to know if anyone thinks that the square braid burns hotter or just any thoughts about these two wicks to see if I am heading in the right direction for wicking pillars....

we had a topic on this before and really I like using either the 24 ply or 30 ply flat braid wicks. I think it is a personal preference to be honest. If you have a great melt pool of about 1/2 and the sides about a 1/4 I would say you have a good wick there but this is just my opinon I am sure others will chime in

I use a flat twisted in my pillars. Love the burn. I tend to used sq braid in palm wax and that combo does well too, but the characteristics of the 2 waxes are sooo different. I've never used the wax you mentioned, but as with any wax, testing is the key be it container, pillar, or votive. You have to consider the amount of FO, if it's heavy or light and how much coloring you add, and wether you want the candle to be fully consumed or leave a shell. I prefer a shell and so my wicking is determined accordingly. HTH :)

Can I ask why you prefer your candles to leave a shell?

I have been working with wicks like crazy lately and I have come to the conclusion that the ones that leave the shell burn much much slower...thus giving the customer more candle hours...as opposed to using a larger wick ...consuming the whole candle, but the burn so fast.

Is that why the shell is your preference?

Just wondering.

J.

Can I ask why you prefer your candles to leave a shell?

I have been working with wicks like crazy lately and I have come to the conclusion that the ones that leave the shell burn much much slower...thus giving the customer more candle hours...as opposed to using a larger wick ...consuming the whole candle, but the burn so fast.

Is that why the shell is your preference?

Just wondering.

J.

I like the glow that you get when a thin shell remains & to me the candle always has a finished look on top. :) You then also have the option of burning a small tealight inside when the candle is burned almost all the way.