Shipping to Canada

TerriWV

Can someone tell me how to go about shipping supplies to Canada? I know I can ship thru USPS, but I'm not sure how to go about it. What shipping option do you use, and does it have to be labeled a certain way, or packaged a certain way? What about customs?

I know, I know lots of questions, but someone is wanting some things, and I want to ship so that it ships right, and doesn't cost them a fortune.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so if it is in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

Thanks!!!

Hi Terri,

At first it might seem a little scary as to how to ship pacakages to Canada and beyond. Once I figured how to ship to Canada and Europe, my business has boomed. After it all, I sat there and wondered why didn't I do it sooner.

Anyway, you would prepare your package normally. Boxing, packing peanuts, what have you. I would stick an invoice inside the box as well as having one in a packing pouch on the box. Just in case customs need to look at it. If your Canadian or European is getting a package from someone in the USA odds are that it isn't their first. They will know that 1. It can be sometimes delayed at customs and 2. the package may have been opened and looked at.

In order to send via USPS all you need to do is fill out a customs declarations form from the USPS. It's very easy and self explanitory. It form # 2976A When you go to the Post Office, they are normally just sitting on the desks. If you plan on doing a lot of International shipping grab a handful and take some home. Just simply fill out the form with all the shipping information, where to, how much does it weigh, value, the contents, etc.

As to how to ship it there are several options as to how fast your customer wants it. Of course this is totally up to the customer and how much they want to pay. Here is an example of the choices for a 10lb package to Canada.

Global Express Guaranteed® Document Service 2 - 3 Days $60.00

Global Express Guaranteed® Non-Document Service 2 - 3 Days Calculate

Global Express Mail™ (EMS) 3 - 5 Days $34.00

Airmail Parcel Post 4 - 10 Days $23.35

Economy (Surface) Parcel Post 4 - 6 Weeks $18.70

Most people will choose Airmail Parcel Post.

Once you have addressed your package, filled out your form, you can bring to the Post Office and that's it.

When you ship Internationally there is just a few things to keep in mind.

1. Your shipment can be delayed for days.

2. Customs will open the package at times.

3. Give your customers tracking numbers...it puts their minds at ease that their package is on the way.

4. If you have any questions why your package is delayed or you want to know where it is, Call the USPS. They can tell you.

5. Save all your paperwork!

I think I have covered most everything for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Here's some advice from a Canadian!

Definitely ship it USPS - I always prefer airmail parcel post (which doesnt actually come with a tracking number). It can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to get here, even though it states 4-10 days. I have no problems with waiting that extra time while it usually sits at the border.

NEVER under any circumstances label the value as being more than it's worth, most of the time we end up paying taxes on the value stated. hth!