Need help with soap recipe

DeeB

Hi,

I'm fairly new here, and there seem to be a lot of soapmakers here that really know what they are doing.

This will be the first time I make cp soap. I've had everything sitting around here for months just haven't got up the nerve to open that can of lye! I'm making the soap for my teenage daughter who has extremely dry rough skin.

I want to put some of it in her stocking at Christmas..so in order for it to be ready in time...I drug out the goggles and gloves and hopefully when I pick up that can of lye this time I can open it!

Can someone please check the recipe for me. I have spent so many hours researching oils I am getting a headache. The recipe that came with the wooden mold didn't seem like a very good soap out of 48 ounces of oils, 25 oz were coconut oil.

Here is what I came up for a total of 48 oz.

7 oz coconut oil

8 oz palm oil

7 oz palm kernel oil

5 oz sweet almond oil

2 oz shea butter

12 oz soybean oil

2 oz jojoba oil

5 oz olive oil

1 oz FO

I checked it on the MSM calculator recommended lye usage is 6.43 to 6.64 for 5-8 percent excess fat. I plan to use 6.5 oz. Recommended water is 12 to 18 oz., I plan to use 17 oz. or since it is my first time making soap should I use the maximum water. Checked the soap notes at BCN and the fragrance is safe and the cp notes say no problem, light brown color, scent held up well.

I also have the following oils

Apricot kernel oil

Rosehip oil

Hemp oil

Evening primrose oil

I am willing and open to try all suggestions and extremely grateful for your help. She has had extremely dry skin since birth. We have tried everything over the counter and prescription. She is in high school now and having sandpaper for skin is just not cool. We've had a few tear over the years on her part, other kids can be cruel and don't understand how hurtful they are. I made her a lotion bar with a recipe from MSM and that seems to be helping some, but she needs to have a soap that won't dry out her skin.

Thanks so much

Dee

She will see a vast improvement in her skin just with using homemade soap regardless of the recipe that you choose.

In my opinion, your recipe is a bit ingredient heavy- especially with this being your first batch.

If it were me, I would make a simple first batch with no FO or EO with colloid oatmeal.

I hope that you have fun! You will never go back to commercial soap again! :grin2:

Thanks so much! If I take out the jojoba, sweet almond, and olive and add those amounts to the soybean oil, would that be enough or do I need to remove more ingredients? She really likes the shea butter in the lotion bar, so I'd like to keep the shea in the soap.

Thanks,

Dee

Dee, I had the same thought as Jennifer. It's easy to make things too complicated when starting. Here is a good base recipe for you"

10% coconut

15% pko

15% palm

5% butter

10% sweet almond, jojoba or soybean

45% olive oil

I use castor oil and babassu oil at 5% in all my batches. I see you did not list either but that's not a big deal.

e

Thank you Eugenia, can I get castor oil at Walmart? I've read that it's soothing so maybe would be good in the soap. Do I need to subtract 5 percent of the oil in the recipe and add in the castor oil or do I need to add it at trace. I think I can handle your recipe I'll run it through the lye calculator to get my lye and water amounts. Now I just need to get up the nerve to use the lye, the lye part is a little scary, for me at least. Thank you so much, you've been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Dee