Another Question for CP Soap Please!

BlackCrow

Hi!

Ok, here is a recipe I am going to use for my very first batch of CP soap. My supplier provided this recipe. This is good for a 3lb batch which is good cause my Mr.Doright mold is 3lb.

6.82oz Lye

15oz of Water

- - -

10 oz Crisco

16 oz Olive Oil (Pomace Grade - green in colour)

8 oz Coconut Oil

6 oz Palm Kernal Oil

4 oz Cocoa Butter

4 oz Shea Butter

- - -

1.5 oz of fragrance oil

What i want to do is replace one of the ingredients and use Rice Bran oil instead. Which ingredient would I replace. I was reading Bunnys old post on how to create a soap recipe and reading about hard oils vs soft oils. Am I right in thinking that I can replace the 16oz of olive oil with 16oz of rice bran oil??? Also, I plan on replacing the 4oz of cocoa butter with 4oz of mango butter.

If someone could look at this and tell me I am right about the replacement ingredients I would greatly appreciate it. I am afraid to make a mistake here and want to make sure i have it all right before i go and buy supplies.

T.I.A!!! You all have been very helpful!

Hi!

Ok, here is a recipe I am going to use for my very first batch of CP soap. My supplier provided this recipe. This is good for a 3lb batch which is good cause my Mr.Doright mold is 3lb.

6.82oz Lye

15oz of Water

- - -

10 oz Crisco

16 oz Olive Oil (Pomace Grade - green in colour)

8 oz Coconut Oil

6 oz Palm Kernal Oil

4 oz Cocoa Butter

4 oz Shea Butter

- - -

1.5 oz of fragrance oil

What i want to do is replace one of the ingredients and use Rice Bran oil instead. Which ingredient would I replace. I was reading Bunnys old post on how to create a soap recipe and reading about hard oils vs soft oils. Am I right in thinking that I can replace the 16oz of olive oil with 16oz of rice bran oil??? Also, I plan on replacing the 4oz of cocoa butter with 4oz of mango butter.

If someone could look at this and tell me I am right about the replacement ingredients I would greatly appreciate it. I am afraid to make a mistake here and want to make sure i have it all right before i go and buy supplies.

T.I.A!!! You all have been very helpful!

I'd replace the OO for the RBO. Just make sure to run through the calc. I'd run it through the calc even if I was not replacing ingredients just to be sure the lye amounts are correct. You can replace any oil and butter with any oil and butter as long as you run it through the calc. Of course, changes in the ingredients can change the properties of your soap i.e, make it more/less conditioning, more/less bubbles, more/less cleansing, etc.

Hi Meridith,

Thank you so much! I will be sure to run it through the lye calculator to see what it gives me and what changes it does. I have read that rice bran oil has alot of benefits so I thought it might be bette to use then the olive oil.

Thank you again!

keep in mind that you 3lb mold will not hold 3lbs of oils plus water. its only going to hold 3lbs total.

Carrie, I don't think you are correct. I have a 2# log. Multiply the length x height x width of your mold x .4 to get the amount of oils that the mold will hold.

Mine is 10.5 x 3.5 x 3.5, holds 3.2# total soap; I bought it as a 2#, not 3#.

e