Different Wicks for Different Climates?

Why is it that someone tells you they have the perfect burn/wick combination and when you try it out, it isn't the case? Could it be the different climates? I bought some candles from different chandlers to see what they considered the perfect burn and a lot of them the wicks were way too big IMO...you think living in Florida with the humidity and heat, they need smaller wicks? I noticed once when I took some of my candles up north, the wicks burned like they needed to be wicked up but yet they burn perfectly in Florida. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have seen this before.

Smellywax, I'm in Florida too and I have to wick down on everything from the recommendations. I did test my candles at 700 and 500 feet above sea level and they burned ok. I'm not sure what all the factors are but I confirm your observations....

You are very welcome.

Just for the record, the topic talks about how most consumers will burn their candles in room temperature so the climate in temperature aspect won't affect burn. Elevation on the other hand is still debatable as well as humidity.

That's what is weird...I keep my AC at 69 and yet my candles burn differently at hotels up north when I keep the AC at the same temp?

You are very welcome.

Just for the record, the topic talks about how most consumers will burn their candles in room temperature so the climate in temperature aspect won't affect burn. Elevation on the other hand is still debatable as well as humidity.

Large elevation differences, in my testing have been noted to slightly change the burn. I made candles here at 6700 feet or so, took them to Minnesota, only a few hundred feet and they do burn differently, but not enough to change this particular combination I have. But then again, I'm slightly underwicked for my elevation because it eventually catches up. There it didn't have to catch up, but it wasn't too hot either. Same thing when I went to Missouri as happened in Minnesota.

ETA: And I lost about 2-3 hours on burning times there versus Colorado, which is why I have a 5 hour range on my webpage for burn times.

Yep it happens to me here, depends on the weather, I can get a great burn with a certain/wax/jar/fo combo, then a few months later it can change.

Karen M

I have been getting some inconsistencies lately too. Not sure why yet and not sure if it would be the weather change.....Fall is really in the air right now. I have not noticed this problem a whole lot since I have been doing this. I do run random tests and I have just recently (this week) caught a few oils needing changes. They are oils that I have tested completely and felt that I had made the right choice. They are oils from the same batches of oil. Not sure if it is the wax yet. Other fragrances are burning fine. What a headache on top of my situation with having to find a soy replacement.

What differences are you noticing? I am noticing weak flames for me. When I was a customer, I absolutely hated when I bought a candle and ended up with puny flames.

That's what is weird...I keep my AC at 69 and yet my candles burn differently at hotels up north when I keep the AC at the same temp?

BRRRR!!!!

I do my testing at 72-75 degrees, but in the summer *my* house is 78 on the main floor and 83 upstairs, and in the winter it's 68-70. With sweaters and layers of clothes!

I finally made myself stop testing in the summer and winter here. Fall and spring it is!

-Kristi