Shipping and fees

I was wondering if anyone figures up there shipping cost after a website order is placed? I have seen some site that say you will recieve a seperate invoice with shipping cost...as far as paypal goes then if doing this you would lost a percentage of the amount twice right? Once for the payment and then once for the payment of shipping. My husband seems to think that if I post it that way then I may lose customers due to the fact that they wont want to pay twice.

Also does anyone use mals e-commerce? I just signed up for it but I am having some trouble understanding which option to use for shipping.

There is a plug in that you can get which works with the Mal's cart. It is auctioninc.com . It is very reasonably priced and not hard to set up. I had thought about a second site and had actually signed up with them and then decided against second site.

Forgot to add this is real time shipping added in with order.

Other carts can do it for free - but as for what I think and I've said it here, asking customers to pay twice is a BAD idea, IMO.

One, you are leaving it open for a customer to not be able to pay shipping and want a refund, or change their mind. You are leaving it open for a chargeback if they decide what you want to charge shipping isn't correct. This could cause fees for YOU as the retailer, depending.

I certainly don't order from ANYWHERE I can't pay all at once. I'd rather be overcharged a little by a calculator and know that I'm done with it, then take a wild guess on my own on what shipping would be, what to save, when to expect, etc. There are a few suppliers I'd like to try but I'm not taking the chance that after I pay for a $50 order, they decide to charge me $25 shipping or a 15% "restocking fee (read free money)" if I don't agree to shipping.

IMO, a site that can't take the time to set it up doesn't want my business and makes me think they can't handle their own site.

I have seen some site that say you will recieve a seperate invoice with shipping cost...as far as paypal goes then if doing this you would lost a percentage of the amount twice right? Once for the payment and then once for the payment of shipping.
Yes, you'd have to pay the 30 cents twice. It's 30 cents + 2.9% of the payment amount. The 2.9% would be the same whether it's done in one payment or two. For those sites which get back to you later with the exact shipping cost, I don't know if they're actually billing the customer twice. They may wait to bill anything at all until the exact total is finalized. I've never seen 2 separate charges on my credit card before, which is why I think they're billing all at once even though it may seem like twice.

Its not that I cant handle my site...its just that I dont know how to figure in shipping ...I have run my site for a year now and I am doing great...I just wanted to add a shopping cart...I will figure it out Im sure.

I can see why someone would be cautious about it though. Its not something I want to do. I want to learn some of this before I add the shopping cart. Wouldnt it be nice if someone could do it for you...LOL

sudsnwicks...I may do like you are doing and just charge with the flate rate box...not sure yet! LOL Thanks

When you use your shopping cart with real time shipping you have to know the weight of each product you are selling and it has to go with the buy button. It is a lot of extra work but it can be done and you can do it. I know if I figured out how to set up Mals with the buy buttons and adding the weight of each product in and setting up with the live shipping I mentioned you can to. Just hope you have a lot of hair because there won't be much left when you do get it figured out!

I much prefer knowing what my shipping is going to be before I pay for my purchase. With mine I have an account with UPS. That is what I use for all my shipping unless someone ask for USPS. I was using USPS to begin with but actually discovered it was cheaper to use UPS. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of doing it both ways and see what suits you, your site, and your style better. To me it is not always about how much it will cost me but how it will benefit my customer. It also helps you to have a more professional "front". After all, don't we want our customers to think we are professionals :wink2:

Its not that I cant handle my site...its just that I dont know how to figure in shipping ...

I didn't mean that in a malicious way, just to make sure I pointed that out. Mostly suppliers is what I meant since they are supposed to be doing some decent biz, not a start up site like yours would be once you start accepting payments. It does take time, but some of these established suppliers have been doing it this way for a couple of years at the least. IMO, once a site starts taking orders, max two months should be to get it to accept payments fully, totally, correctly and completely.