Is all stainless steel created equal?

NancyJo

I went to Family Dollar, looking for a bucket to soap in and found an 8 quart stainless steel for $7.00.

The label says stainless steel, but being from the dollar store, is it the same stainless steel you can soap with? I wasn't sure if there were grades, where some you can use or not use.

Tried looking on the web, but everything I found you need to be a scientist to figure out what they are saying.:o

TIA

As long as it's stainless steel, you can use it. I know what you mean about the wide range of prices though. A stainless steel pot at a gourmet kitchen store can be nearly $100, whereas at a discount store you can get it for around $10. The thickness has something to do with it, I'm sure, but part of what you're paying for could also be the brand name. Sort of like the difference between a pair of $29 jeans and a $150 pair?

Stainless steel comes in different grades. It has to do with how much nickel is in the mix. A cheap grade of stainless steel can eventually rust. Here on the coast we must use only the high grade of stainless fasteners or it will eventually degrade. Not sure if this will be a factor in soap-making or not...