Soy wax embeds for gel candles?

donna4909

I've been buying my pie crust toppers and embeds from eBay, but it's getting expensive. I found some cheap crust molds, and I've been considering making my own. Could you use soy wax for these? If not, what type of wax should be used? I want something very simple, where I can just melt, add color, and pour.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Candle-Making-LATTICE-CHERRY-PIE-CRUST-MOLD_W0QQitemZ2375565495QQcategoryZ41207QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, what would be a good dye block color to use? I don't like brown or yellow, but I want something in between. Maybe the vanilla color found here would work?

http://creativeilluminations.com/category_35.php

i think that soy might give you problems when you pour the gel over it........melt temp wise.

i use the embed wax that i get from

www.candlesandsupples.com

as far as color, i mix brown and yellow to get the color. i keep a white paper towel or paper plate next to where i am mixing color and keeping dropping wax blobs on it until i get the color i want. you could also use ivory, but you have to use a lot of it and it still needs some yellow or gold added.

hth,

cheryl

Darn... I was hoping to be able to use soy, as the only paraffin gelluminations has is in 50 pound cases, but they sell soy in 1 pound. >_<

All my gel wax, wicks, labels, and fragrances are coming from them, and I wanted to buy from a single store to save on shipping costs. I would just get everything from candlesandsupplies, but their fragrance & gel wax is more expensive... and they don't have the apple cinnamon scent. And I can't even seem to register on their site.

I may just have to order from Peak (even though I don't want 10lbs worth, $22.50, meep!), Gelluminations, and MoldMakingHandyMan.

Eesh... this is not gonna be easy on a Taco Bell paycheck. I was hoping to keep it under $75 for now. :( I already spent $30 on premade crusts and fruit embeds. Now I need:

$35 for 4 lbs of gel, 3 scents, 3 colors, 50 wicks, & 100 labels

$32 for 2 crust molds & a berry mold

$22.50 for 10 lbs of embed wax

Why is it that every hobby I get into ends up killing my wallet. I guess it's because I never do anything half way. My fish keeping is like this... I started with a $3 betta 6 months ago, and I now have 5 fish tanks and have spent well over $300.