stearilizing

Sherl

What is the best way to stearilize containers you can not boil? Made a large batch of lotion and put it in a plastic bucket and I got mold for the first time ever. Do you need to put a layer of plastic over the top as well before you seal the bucket? Seems the mold and discoloration is on the top. I assumed the busket was steril coming from a manufacturer. What a costly assumption :cry2:

I masterbatch lotion and the easiest way I've found to avoid cross contamination is to pour the lotion into a ziplock bag [i use the Hefty 2.5 gallon from Target] and then place the bag into a bucket or whatever. Less mess, less fuss, IMO.

Was the lotion completely cool before it was sealed? Condensation will cause mold. Also, wash everything in hot soapy water right before lotionmaking and then air dry. Spritz with alcohol and you should be good to go. What type of preservative are you using?

Those buckets are usually made of recycled plastic and kept in a dirty warehouse. This could be the culprit.

I think the lotion was cool but will pay more attention in the future. After thinking about it some, I may have grabbed a spatula that was not sterilized prior to use. The product poured into containers is fine so had to do with that bucket. Wasn't sure if soapy water was good enough or maybe a bleach solution. Will try the baggie idea as well.

Sorry, dont mean to nitpick here, but first of all, nothing can be sterilized without an autoclave and sterilizing is uneccesary unless in the medical field. What you want is your things to be sanitized(with soap & water, bleach or alcohol) or disinfected(EPA approved disinfectant). I have had this stuff drilled in my head for the last 7 years from being a nail tech, so it just drives me crazy when no one knows the difference.:wink2: