8 oz tins getting to hot?

I'm considering adding several size tins to my line of candles. The smaller sizes I can single wick, but the 8 oz need to be double wicked. They burn beautifully, great throw, but I'm concerned with how hot the tins themselves get. My smaller ones don't ever get that hot, and I know it's the result of the double wicks causing the heat in the bigger ones. The 8 oz get very hot, to the point that you'd probably burn your finger if you left it on there for more than a moment. Knowing that not all customers follow proper candle burning (i.e., never move a burning candle), I'm not sure the hotter tins are a good idea (but dang they smell great!). I guess I'm just curious how hot your 8 oz tins get, and what is considered "acceptable". TIA!

I've not seen anyone yet, double wick the regular 8 oz. candle. I'm speaking of the standard deep ones. They are just way too small to do that with, even with votive wicks. The only thing I can think of - they smell so great because they are entirely too hot. But that could lead to burning off the scent long before the candle is over. ETA: In fact, my 8 oz. tins are just a step above a votive wick.

My 8 oz. tins *can* but *shouldn't* be moved. They are cool enough that you can hang onto it for several minutes at the very least. Mine might be on the cooler side than others, but what you are describing is WAY too hot IMO.

:shocked2: YIKES!! I sure am glad you brought that up, cause that's way too hot for safety, especially in the hands of the general public! *faint*

I can't help with a wick size for the size tins you use (I make 6 oz. deep style ones), but I know loads of folks here do make the 8 oz. size and can help steer you in the right direction! Good luck on coolin' em down! :)

Tins will always get hotter than thick glass. It conducts heat better, pure and simple. No way around it. I always, always double wick my 8 oz tins. Always have, always will.

I start with HTP 41's and move up if I don't get fmp. I would guess 80% of mine are good with two 41's. I have a couple of scents I triple wick, BnL Peppercorn for one.

With my 8 oz. tins & parasoy wax I use two LX 8's or LX10's with heavier scents. I also use three wicks in my 16 oz. tins.

LOL Sliver on the Peppercorn......that sucker is harder than any Patchouli to wick, but smells heavenly!! :cool2:

Thank you guys. I use zincs, but single wicking is just not happening. I'm glad there are others who do double wick an 8 oz. I had a friend who purchased a 4oz tin from Gold Canyon and it was double wicked!

Sliver, how hot do your tins get?

Thank you guys. I use zincs, but single wicking is just not happening. I'm glad there are others who do double wick an 8 oz. I had a friend who purchased a 4oz tin from Gold Canyon and it was double wicked!

Sliver, how hot do your tins get?

Have you tried the 51z size wick? It works wonderful for me on almost 90% of my oils in the 8 oz tin. The tin never gets too hot to handle.