Yet another wick question :)

Hey all,

I've been doing some testing of the 3 candles I poured yesterday (posted in the candle gallery)

I tested HTP 52, 62 and had less than stellar results. I had a crooked MP on both (the 62 was a little better but not by much). The 52 had a tiny bit of flame dancing to it, and wax left on the side of the jar.

So I'm now testing HTP 73 and 83. 73 got a full MP, but had some wax hang on the side of the jar and a rather large mushroom.

83 is on it's first burn (1 1/2 into it and I may have to cut it short and start again tomorrow (I was dumb enough to start it later than what I should have).

If the 83 is not much better, should I try the HTP 104? Would that be too much wick for my jelly jar?

Here's what I poured:

1lb 4630 container wax

1 complete dye chip

3/4 oz FO (didn't have a full oz)

8oz Jelly Jar 2.5" diameter

There is simply no way of knowing until you try it. A 104 might not be too big. There are so many variables it's impossible to say.

Assuming these are standard jelly jars where the bottom is smaller than the top, what works on the top might burn too hot as the candle burns to the bottom.

Are you testing to the very bottom? You should be. Wax hangup toward the top will likely catch up as the candle burns. The only way to know for sure is to burn top to bottom and adjust accordingly.

The 52 and 62 were going to tunnel so I'm not going to burn them completely. I pulled the wick out of 52 and replaced it with the 83. I'm going to burn the 73 and 83 all the way to the bottom. Those results were just after the first test burn. Thanks for the input :)

Sliverofwax is right. This wax will "catch up" quite nicely. If your hangup around the top is 1/16"-1/8" of wax, then this will eventually melt as you closer to the bottom. My standard starting wick on a jelly jar is HTP52 with this wax. If I have to go larger than a 73, I change to an LX or Peak's Cotton wick. Good luck!

Thanks Coconut :)

I may try the 52 and 62 again with a different batch. The problem with them on this one was I never got a full MP. This might be because the wick wasn't exactly straight (I got it as close as I could. Still feeling out the wick bar), but even after 2 1/2 hours, it never got a full MP. The 62 was a little better, not as crooked but I never got a full MP with it either after 2 1/2 hrs. Should these wicks get a full MP on a first burn? Or did I give up on them too quickly? I only did one burn on the 52 and 62 then switched the wicks.

:) I would for sure give the wicks another try. You sound just like me when I first started. I had a picture in my head of how the wick would burn and the MP would be perfect on the first burn and it was not. I became so frustrated I tried other wicks, but I went back to the htps. As you know I use the 4630 and sometimes I think that I have underwicked only for it to get much better on the second test burn. Sometimes I think I have overwicked with a fast MP, but on the second test burn my wick almost drowns out. These wicks are a tricky business, but I would most definitely try a few test before you give up.

P.S. that mushroom is just caused by the FOs and htps self trim to one side which sometimes causes a crooked MP. Mine usually even out after a while. Oh and I am realizing that a little jar hang up does not bother me because at least I know the wick I am using is not too hot. Hang in there and have fun!!

:) I would for sure give the wicks another try. You sound just like me when I first started. I had a picture in my head of how the wick would burn and the MP would be perfect on the first burn and it was not. I became so frustrated I tried other wicks, but I went back to the htps. As you know I use the 4630 and sometimes I think that I have underwicked only for it to get much better on the second test burn. Sometimes I think I have overwicked with a fast MP, but on the second test burn my wick almost drowns out. These wicks are a tricky business, but I would most definitely try a few test before you give up.

P.S. that mushroom is just caused by the FOs and htps self trim to one side which sometimes causes a crooked MP. Mine usually even out after a while. Oh and I am realizing that a little jar hang up does not bother me because at least I know the wick I am using is not too hot. Hang in there and have fun!!

Thanks Leah! I've noticed with the 73 and 83, the top sides of the jar are a little hot to the touch, but as I go lower, the jar isn't as warm. Is it normal for the sides of the jar where the flame is parallel with to be hot like that? Or do I have too big of a wick? I'm definately going to try the 52 and 62 again. I don't think the jar was as hot with those...

Thanks Leah! I've noticed with the 73 and 83, the top sides of the jar are a little hot to the touch, but as I go lower, the jar isn't as warm. Is it normal for the sides of the jar where the flame is parallel with to be hot like that? Or do I have too big of a wick? I'm definately going to try the 52 and 62 again. I don't think the jar was as hot with those...

Hard to say if it was too hot or not. If I can't pick up the jar and hold on to it, then I think it is too hot. I bought a candle once and had it catch my kitchen counter on fire because the glass broke, so I am extra careful. Just watch it real close and you could try doing a power burn where you burn for an extreme amount of time. Watch it closely and put it on a fire safe place like the stove. Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Yeah, I know the 104 is definately too hot. I had a full MP in an hour, but I couldn't pick up the jar because it was too hot. So I think 104 is probably too big. Even the 73 and 83 are a little hot to the touch, at least I can't hold onto the jar for very long. I'm definately going to give the 52 and 62 another try and see how those feel.