OK to use baby oil in scrubs?

I just started making lotions and scrubs for hobby. I give my stuff away so I have to keep supplies reasonable. I was using sweet almond oil for scrubs but that was getty pricey. Is baby oil okay to use?

Also- sometimes I mix sugar and salt in my scrubs- what kind of salt do you use and where do you get it

Thanks

baby oil is mineral oil (as elitenaildesign said), so its really not good or have many benefits for your skin (but clog your pores), so i wouldn' t use it. Good oils to try are, olive (which is pricey also) soybean oil, rice bran oil or a mixture of them.....

b/c a scrub is something you wash off, you dont want to toss expensive oils in it. it would go to waist if that makes sence.

for salt you can use severale kinds....fine dead sea salt, epsom salt, solar salt and dendritic salt which helps hold fragrace in your salts. which can all be purchased very cheaply online...i like to get mines from www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com "to me" it's reasonably priced and worth it. Also if you have a spare blender you can get salts like black or pink Himalayan and grind it down!! being resourceful really works!! oh and add addictives like oatmeal and or aprocot seeds or strawberry seeds (grounded) you can come up with a lot to help add a little "umph" to your scrubs!! oh and make sure you have a good preservative too!! gotta be careful of the water germies..

as far as sugar i like to use "sugar in the raw" it's a raw sugar and thicker in size and comes in a recycled brown bag/package that say's "Sugar In The RAW"....and i use regular organic cane sugar from a organic food store....but when you mix the 2 together (for me) and also the rest of the ingredients, a little does go a long way!

best of luck to you and let us know what you came up with!:yay:

Thank you for your replies. I only had baby oil on hand so I did make a couple scrubs from them to try. I don't sell my stuff so my friends will have to suffer through this first batch. I tried them and since I only used it on my body and not face- it seemed okay. But didn't really soften my skin like scrubs I buy. I will try one of the other oils next time. No matter what - it can't be as expensive as the scrubs you buy in the store!

• 2 weeks later...