Wick question

Hi everyone! If a wick is spiking & flickering that means it is running out of fuel right? So you would then wick down one to correct it? Im using a LX24 in 4" dia jar w/ 223 & this is the only problem Im having. Also I have only used 3% FO so I don't think the wick is getting clogged -just maybe too big?

Hi everyone! If a wick is spiking & flickering that means it is running out of fuel right? So you would then wick down one to correct it? Im using a LX24 in 4" dia jar w/ 223 & this is the only problem Im having. Also I have only used 3% FO so I don't think the wick is getting clogged -just maybe too big?
Yeah, that dancing around often happens with too big a wick or just a candle that's been burning a long time and the flame has gotten large. You want to minimize it because the wick starts getting sooty at that point. You can't avoid it completely, but wick down until you can get the candle burning for a good amount of time before it starts happening. And of course follow Breanna's advice about avoiding drafts because that will aggravate the problem.

Thank you both for your replies. After I posted I went back & re-trimmed the wick & that stopped the flickering. Unfortunately I know most other people wouldn't do that though because it really didn't seem like it was that long :undecided Im now on the 3rd burn and the flame (as it proceeds down the jar) is not flickering now so much as giving me a gentle wave "Hi" :D I wish it stayed rock steady all the time, but I have never really gotten any of my container candles to do that! Sigh, back to testing.