mushrooms and soot in power burns

Hi all,

I'm testing some wicks in soy, and since I got depressed LOL because they didn't burn as I wanted, today I lit all the tester ann let them burn for 5 hours.

WOW I saw the biggest mushrooms in the world!! Two tester got a bit of soot also.

Well, my question is: if shrooms appears on power burns do you take it into consideration as a sign of wrong wicking?

I found that all the wicks I tested do mushroom, sooner or later... I hate mushrooms and these had 5 or 6 heads!!

I have little experience with soy but it seems it's very prone to mushrooms.. BLEH!

TIA

Hi Stella, thanks you're really punctual!

The wicks were ECO 12 and LX 26 in two 3" diameter tumblers.

I let them go for hours because I was pulling my hair out because they didn't catch the sides after 3 burns, so then I saw those big alien mushrooms and soot.

There was a window opened so that may be the cause for soot on sides.

In the mean while I let another tapered tumbler go with a CD 14, the tumbler is pretty high and not so wide, it did mushroom but no black soot on sides.

Just wondering if I have to worry if mushrooms or soot appears "after" the given rule of 1 hour per 1 inch.

U know, new to evrything on this side!