Melting micas for lipstick

I've been playing around with making colored lip balm and I want to try making lipstick. Is there a special trick to melting the micas so they blend with your other ingredients?

To make a lipstick, I've read where adding lanolin is the ingredient that makes the color come off on your lips - is this right?

Any help with lip stick or lip balm colors would be appreciated!!

You don't melt or dissolve the micas, you suspend them. So it's a bit of a balancing act - you need to pour cool enough that they stay suspended but warm enough that it's still plenty liquid.

Same as adding oatmeal to MP soap!

You don't melt or dissolve the micas, you suspend them. So it's a bit of a balancing act - you need to pour cool enough that they stay suspended but warm enough that it's still plenty liquid.

Same as adding oatmeal to MP soap!

So then when you're applying lipstick, it's just a lot of tiny mica dots on your lips? I've read where you should crush or grind your mica before using - is this true?

Thanks Care Bear!

I know that Brambleberry has a lipstick making kit and after searching, found the section in her blog about lipstick making. Just scroll through til you find it!

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Angi

Thanks Angi - I went through and copied it all - I'll read it later. Looks like some good information, just what I needed.

Susan