wick problems

hi everyone

been trying to make some basic pillar candles and having more problems!! to be honest im not too sure what width of wick im using, it just says "medium" and I've also been using wick that says for use with candles that have a diameter of 51mm, my candles are 60mm. the problem is the flame is really high, a lot higher than it should be. what can i do about it? thanks!! :grin2:

Yeah, it's too bad America in gen'l wont use metric. What can be easier than multiples of 10? All you have to do is add or delete zeros on whichever side of the decimal. I mean, really, who ever thought that this system makes any sense was on something! 12 inches in 1 foot, 3 feet in 1 yard, I've no idea how many yards in a mile. THough I"m sure Am scientists use metric all the time. Oddly, America officially adopted the metric system over a 100 years ago. Jeeeesh, talk about "slow on the uptake reel." lol. :cool2: Oh yeah, I resemble that remark. hehehehe

hi everyone

been trying to make some basic pillar candles and having more problems!! to be honest im not too sure what width of wick im using, it just says "medium" and I've also been using wick that says for use with candles that have a diameter of 51mm, my candles are 60mm. the problem is the flame is really high, a lot higher than it should be. what can i do about it? thanks!! :grin2:

So, you're using a wick that's too small for your candle & yet is a flamethrower? Do you have any way of knowing what materials comprise your wick & the type?

Try a differnt type of wick.

what size wick should i be using for 60mm candles? i thought i was using one too thick, maybe not then! no sorry it doesnt actually say what the wick is made of which doesnt actually help! im in scotland, id use cm myself but only started using mm as thats wot it says on me wick hehe :grin2: actually ive found another wick that i have that just says "medium" hmm very helpful! was thinking of buying the one that says "thin." i know this doesnt really help as it doesnt give any measurements but i can buy that in a shop and trying to order as little as poss online as itll cut down on postage, then again maybe i should order ito nline least then i should know the measurements....

Wicks aren't really designed for any particular size candle. The guidelines are a guess at best and a lie at worst. You just have to try and see what works. It's usually good to try more than one wick to find out what's best, so it might be worth trying the thin wick.

My guess is that the medium is something like 2/0 square braid (it would look round rather than flat), which would be in the right vicinity for a 60mm candle. If the flame is too big, make sure you have the wick trimmed to 1/4 inch before lighting. Keep burning it for 2-3 hours at a time with ample time to cool off in between. If the candle has a flat top you might find that the flame is a little high at first but settles down on subsequent burns.