Test Burn, anyone up to analyzing it?

So I started my test burn on my first candle that I poured. I poured it on Saturday around 2:30pm and started the test burn at almost 1pm today. So that is how long it cured.

I have been taking pictures of it as it has burned and they are here: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z225/ambernricketts/Candles/

I have titles and descriptions that should give enough information such as wax, FO, wick brand and size.

Would someone be willing to look at them and tell me thier opinion. I am wondering if it is burning too fast?

Nice Pics...you should get FMP after 3hrs or so...cant remember how wide your jar is....and dont go for FMP on your first burn either. I am sure Stella will be along to help ya out.

My gut says wicks are too big. may have to go down a size or two.

tootie

Nice Pics...you should get FMP after 3hrs or so...cant remember how wide your jar is....and dont go for FMP on your first burn either. I am sure Stella will be along to help ya out.

My gut says wicks are too big. may have to go down a size or two.

tootie

Forgot that info, the diameter is 4". You said not to go for full melt pool on first burn, so should I snuff it out?? Or do the complete burn for the four hours?

What tootie is trying to say is that you're not looking for a full melt pool on your first, or even 2nd burn.

I personally wick my candles so that the 3rd burn will play catch up. On my 1st and 2nd burns I have a small amount of residue left on the sides of the jars but, on the 3rd burn everything catches up nicely and I end up with a clean container in the end. I've found that if I get a full melt pool on that 1st burn then my containers get too hot for my comfort level once it gets further down into the jar.

What tootie is trying to say is that you're not looking for a full melt pool on your first, or even 2nd burn.

I personally wick my candles so that the 3rd burn will play catch up. On my 1st and 2nd burns I have a small amount of residue left on the sides of the jars but, on the 3rd burn everything catches up nicely and I end up with a clean container in the end.

Thanks! To you does it look like it is burning to fast?

Thanks! To you does it look like it is burning to fast?

How long had it been burning in the pic of you measuring the depth of the melt pool?

ETA: Just clicked on the pic and see that it was at 2 hours. IMO that is definitely burning way too hot. I'd try going down 1, or even 2, wick sizes.

How long had it been burning in the pic of you measuring the depth of the melt pool?

ETA: Just clicked on the pic and see that it was at 2 hours. IMO that is definitely burning way too hot. I'd try going down 1, or even 2, wick sizes.

*faint*

I was afraid of that. Since I am new and all of that, I made the mistake of just ordering one size for my jar. I asked LS what size to use and that is what they told me so I bought 200 of them, goodness gracious! Since I did that I read about the testing and going up and down. Now what do I do with 200 wrong sized wicks?

Now what do I do with 200 wrong sized wicks?
Live and learn? ;)

If you like the burn of the wicks you are using except for the size issue .... I'd order a wick sample pack .... that way you'll have several sizes to test. Chances are you'll have to wick up or down on some fragrances anyhow so it's always a good idea to have several different sizes on hand when you're testing.

Live and learn? ;)

If you like the burn of the wicks you are using except for the size issue .... I'd order a wick sample pack .... that way you'll have several sizes to test. Chances are you'll have to wick up or down on some fragrances anyhow so it's always a good idea to have several different sizes on hand when you're testing.

I'm living and def. learning...lol It seems to be burning good, just too hot I guess. I will take a picture when it gets to the full 4 hours of the burn.

So how many different sizes of wicks does everyone use in the same type of jar (depending on FO)?

Buy you some test packs of wicks dont just use 1 kind when testing. I would try ECO, CD, maybe LX and RRD or HTP. That way you can have a varity to test.

Yes your candle is burning too fast. You want almost a FMP but not quite....just a little hang up on the sides.

I dont do that size jar or use your wax so I cant help ya with what wick to try next....other than going down on the ECO's a few sizes. To me double wicking is hard and I avoid it like the plague!!

The wicks you have you could keep in case you decide to do a smaller jar...single wicked OR sell em in the classified section on the fourm here.

tootie

Agree with what everyone else said... also I might put the wicks a tad closer together -- they were right at the border for my comfort level on proximity to the edges of the container.

If it makes you feel any better -- I think that most new chandlers overwick because we're looking for that FMP in burn #1 -- you think that's what's supposed to happen. You're going through a normal learning process. It really is amazing once you burn a candle all the way through what you end up changing in terms of your wicking.

Buy you some test packs of wicks dont just use 1 kind when testing. I would try ECO, CD, maybe LX and RRD or HTP. That way you can have a varity to test.

Yes your candle is burning too fast. You want almost a FMP but not quite....just a little hang up on the sides.

I dont do that size jar or use your wax so I cant help ya with what wick to try next....other than going down on the ECO's a few sizes. To me double wicking is hard and I avoid it like the plague!!

The wicks you have you could keep in case you decide to do a smaller jar...single wicked OR sell em in the classified section on the fourm here.

tootie

Thanks tootie, I thought it looked like it may be burning too fast. After I snuffed it out and everything hardened back it had burned away just a tad over 1/4 inch of wax in a 4 hour time, is that too much?? I wonder if I went with double wicking using a ECO 6 would work, I actually have some of those!

Agree with what everyone else said... also I might put the wicks a tad closer together -- they were right at the border for my comfort level on proximity to the edges of the container.

If it makes you feel any better -- I think that most new chandlers overwick because we're looking for that FMP in burn #1 -- you think that's what's supposed to happen. You're going through a normal learning process. It really is amazing once you burn a candle all the way through what you end up changing in terms of your wicking.

I was using the EZ Wick Setter to do them, I set them to the second hole closest to the edge, it looked like going in one more was too much. As far as overwicking, I was not specifically trying to do that, I was just using the suggestion of LS. But like you said it is a learning experience.