IGI 4786 in tealights - question

Sorry this ended up being so long. :embarasse

Does anyone here use the IGI 4786 in tealights? I gave it a try and I find that it leaves a little more residue/hangup than the soy blends I have used. This surprised me. I would not really want the flame any bigger (ETA: actually could be a hair bigger but the size it was, was pretty normal). I even used (tested) some wicks that are for natural waxes. Some of the wicks I used that work well in the soy blends ended up getting really weak flames. For those of you who have used this wax for TL's what wicks have you found to work well in it. I have all kinds but not much luck yet.

Those of you who make tealights here, what are your expectations regarding what it should look like after it gets to the bottom? I used to use the stickums but just figured out recently that just that little small amount that it raises the wick tab up from the plastic bottom it cannot suck up as much wax at the bottom (could be the stickum blocking it at the bottom as well). Wax cannot drain over the top of the wick tab when it is very low. I ran a test with another wax I have been using (50/50) comparing stickums with glued down tabs and the glued down tabbed tealight burned great all the way down -- less leftover at the bottom -- just a normal film I have seen from some well-known tealights. To me, the little bit that was left on the bottom with the stickum tealights was not that big of a deal for burn time, but it is the pychological thing with customers. I don't want them comparing mine to other well known tealights and wonder why there is a little leftover on the bottom. I burned some old Partilite tealights I had to compare and all that was left with their tealights was practically nothing - just VERY SLIGHT film. Their tealight containers appear to have a very slight angled dip towards the center which I believe helps the wax drain to the middle, but I have never seen those anywhere. Their wick tabs are glued down. I really do not mind the thin layer I get with the blends and the stickums because it really does not make a difference in burn time. But, but I know customers will compare. However, I do not like the way the 4786 looked because it was not as even -- the side where the wick curled away slightly had more than I would like to see.

I don't even want to get into my bad luck with tealights. Right after I get them working well, it has been one thing or the other which consisted of one wax being too soft in warm conditions (did not know at first....could only find this out in the right conditions), one wax inconsistency which I proved, two wick inconsistencies, and a lot of wicks that did not work worth a toot during the testing process! :(

I use 4786 for my tealights with a cotton core wick 13-342 with excellent results get no hang up with this combination. To stick my tabs to the base of my tealight I use a small amount of silicone which doesn't raise it up to much, so I don't have any residue in the bottom of my candle.

Hope this helps

Pam F

I use 4786 for my tealights with a cotton core wick 13-342 with excellent results get no hang up with this combination. To stick my tabs to the base of my tealight I use a small amount of silicone which doesn't raise it up to much, so I don't have any residue in the bottom of my candle.

Hope this helps

Pam F

Thanks Pam. :) Can you get those cotton core wicks premade for tealights (are they tealight wicks) or do you have to order them in the tealight length with small tabs? And yes, I found too that the glue did not raise it up too much.

Thanks Pam. :) Can you get those cotton core wicks premade for tealights (are they tealight wicks) or do you have to order them in the tealight length with small tabs? And yes, I found too that the glue did not raise it up too much.

Yes they are a tealight wick.

Pam F