Questions about UV Stabilizer & USA

I am ready to use my turkey fryer for the first time. Also going to use the UV Stabilizer & Universal Soy Additive for the first time. The directions say to ad both when starting to melt the wax. I am planning to weigh the wax into the fryer, should I ad the two according to the weight of the wax into the fryer, or ad it as I take out the amount of melted wax that I am using? Thanks for any help I can get.

Nanny, I don't have a turkey fryer (yet!), but when I use my Presto, I put in the weighed wax, then dump the UV and USA and anything else I am adding right on top in whatever proportion I am supposed to use for the amount of wax I am melting. As the wax becomes liquid, I stir it in to melt and combine with the wax. In other words, ya dump it all together and melt it. HTH :)

Nanny,

Your post makes it sound like you are testing the USA. If this is the case you might want to add it to the wax as you use it till you decide if you are going to continue. If you add it to the batch and then don't like it.... you have a bunch of "junk" wax to deal with. If you have your formula all settled, I'm with Stella.... dump it in, one less thing to mess with later!!

Have fun with that turkey fryer!!

The USA has a higher melting point than most soys, so it needs to be melted in with the wax early in the procedure unless you can draw some off and continue heating in a smaller vessel - a big problem. I certainly wouldn't test any additive with an entire turkey fryer of wax!! :rolleyes2 Test a pound instead of 5-10 lbs. ... that's where a Presto or smaller melting pot can be of use.

Thank you for your help. I have only used coconut oil, have you used it along with the other two? Does the USA help much with wet spots? That is what I am hoping for. I changed jars recently to the 10oz square Victorian jar. With the wide, flat sides any wet spots really show up. When I use the 8 or 12 oz jelly jars, I don't see wet spots.

Hi,

I add my UV Stabilizer in my presto pot when I measure my wax. Dump it in and melt all at once. Eliminates the possibility of me forgetting later. I have not used the USA so I can't help with that. I was told that I really didn't need to use it so I have not bothered. Am I missing something?

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Does the USA help much with wet spots?

No. USA is used to improve the texture, tops, hot throw and reduce frosting of soy/veggie based waxes. If you search the veggie forum, there is more information about USA, aka Universal Soy Additive.

Wet spots are caused when the wax and glass contract at different rates and do not remain bonded. This happens because of temperature changes in the environment, glassware that has not been washed to remove manufacturing residue, etc. Green Leaf carries a product that is supposed to make container wax "stickier", but I have not used it so I don't know if it really works or not. Much discussion about wet spots is available by searching through the old threads in the veggie wax forum - look for the topics with the most posts for lively, informative discussions. HTH :)