beloved

:confused: I hope some one can help me. Here is the recipe;

24 oz. of butter I used mango.

18 oz oils of choice

2.2 oz stearic acid

6.6 oz E-wax

32 oz distilled water

3 oz glycerin

It looked like it was going fine Was getting thick put in the frezzer for about 5 min. Took it out and mixed it some more and let it sit. As it cooled it started looking funny a little shinny. took the temp and it was 90. Was going to put in the perserative started to whip it and it started looking like apple sauce. Now it looks like oil and clumps of cottage cheese. Can someone give me an idea or tell me what to do???? I would hate to waste that much product. Oh and tis is the second time I have make lotion or body butter. Thanks for any help

yep, sounds like you didnt get a good emulsion. Your e-wax may haved cooled down to much before you started mixing. Also it helps to add hot water instead of cold water. once you have whipped for a while, then you can start putting it in the freezer to speed up the cooling. But at first you want to make sure everything is pretty warm/hot in order for it to mix properly and get a good emulsion.

yep, sounds like you didnt get a good emulsion. Your e-wax may haved cooled down to much before you started mixing. Also it helps to add hot water instead of cold water. once you have whipped for a while, then you can start putting it in the freezer to speed up the cooling. But at first you want to make sure everything is pretty warm/hot in order for it to mix properly and get a good emulsion.

I started with 110 degree about for both. Should it have been hotter. It did look like it was ok. Maybe I tryied to cool it off to soon. What do you suggest??? Can I heat it back up?? Did the recipe look ok... Thanks so much for helpping

Were all your oils, butters and waxes fully melted before you added the water and started to mix together?

:confused: :confused: You've puzzled me, too, but then again I don't put my emulsified lotion in the freezer.... don't know if that was a factor.

Yup, it was all melted and about 110 degrees wen I frist started to mix.

I know sometimes if I try to cool too quickly, I get separation. So I just let it do it's own thing.... I make sure it emulsifies real good, then I give it a few whirls with the SB every 15 minutes or so until it's cooled enough to add FO, perservative, and any heat-sensitive additives.

I've learned you can't be too impatient when it comes to making lotions. lol (and I'm a VERY impatient person too!)

Thanks so much. Could I heat it back up and add extra E-wax?? Not sure what it needs. Or Should I just reheat?

In my experience, once it separates, there's really nothing you can do to fix it. I had tried re-heating one batch one time, and adding more e-wax, and it was just a mess.

Usually when I get separation, I just throw it away. :(

Then the cussing starts. lol

That's why I've learned to let it cool down on it's own... and not to rush it. Also... I make sure when I start, my oils and my water are about the same temps too.

Maybe someone else knows some tricks to fix separation that I don't know about! :grin2:

:( Man I hate to trash it so many nice oils. Well ppooo. I guess i will be a little more carefull about using a recipe off a web sight. I can't remember the sight either. Thanks so much for the help.

I melted it and added 2 oz E-wax. Same temp. I let it cool on its own, took like forever....... But it is saved. I have so much I plan on giving alot of it away. Thanks for all the help.

JO