Crockpot Rebatching ?'s

pjb31apb

Ok so I am trying my first corckpot rebatch this morning. Made soap today with a rec that had a 40% water discount. I chopped it up into small peices and put it in my crock pot on high. My questions are as follows...

1: Should I have added water at first or should there be enough water in there since my soap is only 12 hours old?

2: Was high the appropriate setting or should I have started on low?

3: How long can I expect this process to take? I know it is different for everyone, but I am just thinking ballpark.

4: This is my second attempt at rebatching outside of using ugly soap for embeds. The first time, I did it on a double boiler, added WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much water and the quality, texture and scent of the soap never changed. It never dried out and it was never loose enough to pour. I attribute some of that to be because I didn't have a lid on the double boiler. But will my soap really become lose enough to pour? And what did I do wrong if it doesn't?

TIA for your help.

Check out Z's tutorial on rebatching in the tutorial section, her tutorial may help you out alot as it did for me when I did my first rebatch. :wink2:

You can find it here: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69598 . Also, there are tons of info in the archives, do a general search on rebatch and will find loads of information...

Normally, water isn't needed if your soap is fairly new, (any soap less than 2 weeks old), however since you did a discount you may need water, but you may want to ask an expert or see if you can find something in the archives. Eugenia, is pretty good at rebatching so she may chime in any minute but if not she has several post on rebatching in the archives.

Good luck on you search!!

I usually add a bit of liquid in my re-batches, doesn't matter if it's new soap or old soap. I always discount my water, so I find it's better if I add a tad bit of liquid. Don't add much. Add a little bit at a time until you get it the right fluid consistency. Too much liquid and it will stay soft. Add a few tablespoons at a time.

Sometimes, I add a bit of oil instead of water or other liquids too. If you find you have to add more FO for any reason, take this in consideration too as being a liquid (well, I do).

I start mine off on high, for about thirty minutes, then I put it back down to low until it is fully melted. Keep the lid on for the first thirty minutes. When I switch it to low, that's when I start stirring occassionally, until it is all melted. Be careful though, because your soap CAN burn in the crockpot. Just don't forget it's in there (like I did one time!!). Depending on how big I cut my chunks (unless I grate my soap), I can never get it ALL fully melted. I usually have little chunks left in my soap, which is no biggie to me.

When it's all melted down to your taste, throw it in the mold. You'll have to move fast here. No swirls, no pretties. LOL

Then I slam my mold a few dozen times (lmao) on the counter to get rid of air bubbles and to even it out in the mold. The tops will look super ugly in the mold. Again, no biggie to me. :) I usually use my beveler to bevel the tops and smooth them out after I cut them.

Usually by the next day, it's hard enough for me to unmold, and I always use my crinkle soap cutter to cut rebatches. Makes them a tad bit more eye appealing to me. :)

This is how I do re-batching and it works for me!! :highfive:

My rebatch came out pretty good I must say. It has an interesting visual texture because you can see swirls of clay and tiny bits that didn't melt to the same texture that have a lighter color. When cut, it is very smooth and almost no craters. I did notice one small one, but considering my soaps are cut at 3/4 of an inch, I think that is pretty good! I did end up adding a tiny bit of honey and some liquid, maybe two tablespoons and the whole process took about 4 hours. I didn't think it was too bad overall. I'm actually thinking about doing another rebatch right now. Probably won't though! I'm a lazy sort ya know! LOL