Bath Bomb Molds

Spellkast

I'm totally re-vamping my whole company...I used to use cupcake molds for my bath bombs, since I could never find the plastic ornaments everyone talks about...but now I'm on a mission. I really want to make some bigger bombs and Im looking for those plastic ornaments that everyone uses. I remember reading somewhere that someone gets them from oriental trading company...but I couldn't find the darn ornament balls. Also...I am going through 2 batches usually in order to get one good one. Right now, I mix together my baking soda, salts, corn starch and citric acid. Then I add in my almond oil, FO and coloring...and add witch hazel until it starts to get soft. I pack them in the molds and all looks good until an hour or two later when they puff up. Would it help, do you think, to add the citric acid AFTER I add the FO, SAO and the witch hazel? I've heard some people do it this way....anyway, I might just turn to a wholesale account if I can't get this stupid recipe down. :( Thanks guys!!!

You can get the ornaments at hobby lobby or micheals, they have them in small, med and large

IMO, if you leave out the witch hazel you will get less chance of puffing, any liquid added to the mix makes it more prone to puffing.

I used to use a recipe similar to yours and it called for witch hazel and I swear I thought I was going to blow my brains out getting descent bombs.

Now, I only use castor oil and I do use liquid color, but very little, that was I control any liquid in the mix.

Good luck

Elle

Don't you find they're too dry to pack into the molds then? If I don't spritz with witch hazel, it's basically still a salty powder :) I've tried spritzing less WH, but then they don't pack into the molds, and when I try to tap them out, they just crumble :( The ones that do turn out nice sell quickly, and I feel as though I spend more money throwing out bad ones than I actually make. Thanks for your help!

Michelle

Finally got nice bath bombs after about 2 years of trying. I leave out the witch hazel also & just use half Turkey Red Oil and half another light oil. I also can't get a good bath bomb if it is too humid in my house. Now with the cooler weather they have been coming out excellent!

I'd add the citric acid last, gives it less time to react with moisture and the baking soda. I don't use water or witch hazel, but we also don't have any humidity here to speak of.

My links to arylic ornaments are all broken, get those places don't carry them yet. I've always found them at Michaels - sometimes in the Xmas section, sometimes in the bridal.

Facorty Direct Craft has a ton of sizes available...and they're on ebay too so you don't have to meet their minimum.

ebay store: factorydirectcraftsupply

search for round fillable ornament

Kangaroo Blue has them too.

I found them on oriental, but the shipping was too long for me to wait.

Thanks so much guys!! I'll try adding the citric last, and leaving out the WH...and if that doesn't work, I GIVE UP!!! :) I'll look at michael's..I need to pick up some stuff there anyway....and I'll try factory direct as well...thanks again!!!

Michelle