EL millennium wax..

I searched and cant find too much out about this wax. Is there anyone here using it either alone or mixed with another wax??

I have a few testers going now...

8oz SQ mason, CDN 14 wick, Cotton blossom FO (soylutions) at 10%. Cured 48 hours. I only got to burn it for 2 hours yesterday then had to leave. It had almost a FMP in those 2 hrs. I fired it up again today so I will post when it is done burning today (4hrs)

I am going to make a few tester up today....

80/20 EL/6006

60/40 EL/6006

50/50 EL/6006

I will post results next week or so on those.

I just LOVE testing:grin2: ....NOT.

tootie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi tootie04,

EL's millennium blend is the first wax we used to start making candles.I really like the company and Bruce is great to work with. However,I do not like the millennium blend much at all for its hot throw capabilities. No matter what we tried we just could not achieve a very good strong hot throw. We tried different pouring temps. and different fo amounts and even consulting with Bruce and still couldn't get a very good hot throw when burning candles with that wax. We have decided to test and improve our candles by switching to palm wax instead. I test all fo's and like Stella,if it doesn't work well (hot throw ),we move on to a different scent or a different company that makes a similar scent and if that doesn't work,we don't use it in our developing line.

We certainly wish you the best with your usage of EL's MB and hope you achieve great success with it.

Mike

when I order my wicks I am going to get some USA and try it. I actually got a good HT from the Clean cotton (soylutions) after a 48 hr cure. I am going to try my mixing ideas and see if that will help with the HT issues.

I MAY just give up on soy altogether and just use the 6006. I LOVE the HT and CT from that wax!! I pour it in the 6oz tins and it is just beautiful :yay: .

My goal is for an AWSOME smelling candle. Soy is no longer that important to me anymore. My market here seems to just want SMELL!!:grin2:

tootie

I made a tester with 70% EL and 30% 6006 in a 8oz sq mason.

Scented at 7% with KY Blackberry Sage ,no color , CDN 14 wick, 24hr cure.

1 hr into the burn and it can be smelled in my friends 15x18 LR, Now I am not sure the wick size is the right one yet....and I know that scent is a good thrower....I will post how it is in 3 more hrs.

tootie

I put out the test candle from the above post in 4.5 hrs. The candle burned good, but I had a full melt pool about 1/4 inch deep and this was on the first burn....I am thinking maybe a CDN 12 will be plenty for this candle. I will test it again in the morning. Oh and scent throw was AWESOME!!

tootie

Mike, just curious, did you ever try adding USA to see if it would enhance the HT?

No,I didn't and I did ask if it was needed and they told me no it was not needed. They told me that it was a blended wax with lots of stuff in it and that I wouldn't need it. It almost sounded like they already had it in with the wax?????

Mike

P.S.

They wouldn't tell me what all was in it when I asked so it must be top secret.(Imagine that) :)

Mike

I agree with ya Stella!!

question....would the USA work even if you are mixing with a parasoy wax (6006)?? I am going to test BOTH ways anyway but was wondering if you know??

OK, 2nd burn 4hrs in and still no full MP. I am going to burn one more hr then put it out till tomorrow. Still has an AWESOME scent throw though!!

tootie

question....would the USA work even if you are mixing with a parasoy wax (6006)?? I am going to test BOTH ways anyway but was wondering if you know??
Sorry, I dunno 'cause I don't do paraffin. To my understanding, USA (vs UA) is derived from veggie materials, so it would be most successful in handling materials like itself - veggie waxes. You'll just have to try and see. Since you are satisfied with the scent throw you are getting thus far, why would you add something else?

How many experiments do you have going on right now with how many waxes, combinations and wicks? *faint* It makes my brain hurt to think about it!!

Oh geez lets see...

6 oz tins 85% 6006 and 15% EL

8 oz sq mason 85% 6006 and 15% EL

6oz tin 70% EL and 30% 6006

8oz sq mason 70% EL and 30% 6006

100% EL 8oz sq mason

that is all right now....:grin2:

I was going to try the USA in the 100% EL and see if it would boost ST.

I will try it in the para-soy blends to see if it makes ANY difference. I always feel there is room for improvement!! :grin2:

tootie

The 8oz sq mason with the 70%EL & 30% 6006.

CDN 14 wick

8% FO

It is finishing up this morning. It burned OK, but there is a little soot....very little. I had to keep the wick trimmed or else it would smoke and soot. I am going to try a different wick and see how it goes.

tootie

OK, I poured 4 more testers today. I used a 70/30 EL/6006 mix and 8oz sq mason jars and

ECHO 8 wick

priemer 760

RRD 47

and a 6oz tin with an ECO 4 wick

We shall see how they burn....

tootie

OK, after 2 burns. The ECO 8 is doing the best. The RRD is next best in the 8oz sq mason. The priemer 770 (I said 760 but supposed to be 770) is sooting some it is too big I believe.

I have not get down to the last half of the jar yet so that will tell the tale. I am burning 4 hours at a time.

The 6oz tin with the ECO 4 in it is doing good too after 2 burns. It is starting to clean the sides.

HT and CT is AWESOME with this mix. But the FO I am using is one of those knock you out the door FO's. I really dislike the scent but my freind just HAS to have THAT scent.

tootie

I am almost half way on the sq mason jars now.

the ECO wick is still doing the best. It is burning the slowest and throwing AWESOME!

The RRD is also doing very good. It is consuming the wax just a little faster than the ECO.

The priemer 770 is too big. The glass is too hot. I think maybe a 760 will be good. I am going to have to make one and see. I like the priemer wick the best of the 3.

The 6oz tin with the ECO 4 is doing fine. It is less than half now and cleaning the sides nicley and is not too hot.

I poured a 6oz tin with 100% 6006 in it and put a RRD37 wick in there. I am anxious to see how this goes. I scented it with CS Juniper Breeze at 6%.

that is it for today.

tootie

tootie4 - I love reading about your testing results! We have used LX wicks in a small 5 oz apothecary and it works well, but I have never tried the larger jars in any of the wicks you are testing, so it's quite interesting!

Unfortunately, the company we usually get this wax from is no longer going to carry it, so we have to start testing a new wax. :sad2: We don't sell alot of soy at this time, so we are hoping to have something together by the fall shows.

Good Luck with the testing!

I know how maddening it can be testing....:mad: . I really do not like doing it. But like you, I have to test new wax cause I cant get my old wax at a good price out here.

I just, today, went to the supplier site and checked the IGI6006 wax price and it was 81.00!! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I have found it at Peaks and can get it for LESS than the 81.00 + 20.00 shipping from the other place!!

I can still get the EL Mill wax for a good price so I will most likley stick with my 70/30 mix for now....

tootie

This mornings burn was like yesterdays. I am half-way down the jars now.

ECO 8 is still doing GOOD. No soot and nice meltpool.

RRD 47 still doing good. It is a hair hotter than the ECO I think. VERY TINY amount of sooting (I think the wick is not centered good) EX scent throw.

I trimmed the 770 down to a nub and it is still too big. I guess I will melt it down and make two more with 765 and 760 in them.

The 6oz tin with the ECO 4 is done. Sides cleaned and EX scent throw!! I got 25.75 hrs out of this candle.

The 6oz tin with the 100% 6006 is burning now. I sented it at 6% Junper breeze from CS....WOW another keeper. This one has the RRD 37 in it. It is on its second burn so to early to say how it is going to do.

That is it for today!:grin2:

tootie

Well looks like I may bump the ECO 8 up to a ECO 10. I am not getting a ful melt pool till after 3.5-4 hrs of burning in the 8oz sq mason. I like the ECO wick I am NOT getting ANY soot or smoking from it.

The RRD 47 is also doing well. I am getting a decent melt pool and SUPER throw. Just a VERY little sooting.

I lit the 760 tester today. this one is a 8oz sq mason, scented with 6% coconut lime FO from CS. This one is also the 70% EL Mill/ 30% 6006 mix. This mix is a keeper for me....I just need to get the wicking down!!

I am also going to try the 51z wicks in this jar I think. i have read so much about 6006 users liking the zinc wicks.

that is it for now.

tootie

I've started testing with this. I can get it locally, no shipping! On the 8 oz square masons I "think" I used HTP1212 (can't get up right now to check my notes). Full melt pool in 2 hours, clean burn all the way down the sides.

I've started testing with this. I can get it locally, no shipping! On the 8 oz square masons I "think" I used HTP1212 (can't get up right now to check my notes). Full melt pool in 2 hours, clean burn all the way down the sides.

That is a pretty big wick for that jar....But I mix the 6006 into the EL so I can wick down. I would think a HTP 105 would work good in that jar. I poured the EL Millinnium 100% one time and used a CDN 12 wick. I didnt use color and scented at I think 8%. I got NO HT from the wax. That is why I am mixing it now.

tootie

OK, I am down to the last 1/4 wax left in the 8oz sq mason jars.

The ECO 8 is cleaning the sides good. Still no soot even with a 5 hr burn. This is a keeper with this FO.

The RRD 47 is cleaning sides better but sooting some. It is worth testing if you are following this thread for test reasons. Dont rule this wick out.

the Priemer 760 is doing OK so far. But it has a ways to go before I know anything concrete.

The 6oz tin with the RRD 37 in it and 100% IGI 6006 it is OK. The sides are cleaning down nicely. It is over half done. I like the soy mixed in it better.....the candles last longer. So I will keep using my mix and the ECO 4 in the tins.

that is it for now....

tootie

That is a pretty big wick for that jar....But I mix the 6006 into the EL so I can wick down. I would think a HTP 105 would work good in that jar. I poured the EL Millinnium 100% one time and used a CDN 12 wick. I didnt use color and scented at I think 8%. I got NO HT from the wax. That is why I am mixing it now.

tootie

Yes that is a big wick but I did try an HTP105 and it didn't get a full melt pool after a couple hours. I even tried a CD12 and that didn't work that well. I don't use color and I scented it at 8% as well. With the HTP105 no hot throw, with the HTP1212 I get a pretty good throw, not as good as I would like and not as good as with parafin. I use HTP 73 or HTP83 with parafin in that jar

Well looks like I may bump the ECO 8 up to a ECO 10. I am not getting a ful melt pool till after 3.5-4 hrs of burning in the 8oz sq mason. I like the ECO wick I am NOT getting ANY soot or smoking from it.

The RRD 47 is also doing well. I am getting a decent melt pool and SUPER throw. Just a VERY little sooting.

tootie

Where do you get the ECO wicks? I may try something different too. I get mushrooming with the HTP wicks.

ECO wicks from candlescience. They are working good for me. I dont go for full melt pool on the first burn or even second one. But I couldnt get a good HT out of the EL wax without adding paraffin.

tootie