I need a change

of pillar wax before I pull my hair out! I have been using IGI 1242 but lately it hasnt been working out so well for me :cry2: Everytime I make a pillar I am needing to repour 3-4 times instead of 1-2 maybe 3 times. Could it just be a bad batch of wax?

It's not bad, just different. Like many natural products, paraffin isn't consistent and you have to be ready to deal with variations in its properties. I personally haven't used any straight paraffin that hasn't sometimes varied significantly from one lot to another.

Several things could make a difference, but the main way to avoid excessive repours is to allow more time before doing it. Don't you think that might work?

Also, if you're getting too much of a sinkhole, you can decrease it by making the relief holes bigger.

Hi Jenn, I know what you mean - each batch of paraffin I get is a new learning experience for me. It can be a pita or if you're in a positive mood, a way to learn more about the wax we play with. I agree with Top, maybe wait until the candle is quite cool before doing the first repour, make the holes a good size, and hopefully then you will only need to do it once - that's if that is the problem. If that isn't, then tell us more and we shall try to help from afar.

OK I see. You have a deep sink hole in the center and that also makes the repour wax sink a lot when it cools. Try making your relief holes much wider. The more space the holes take up, the less of a sink hole you'll have in the center, and the flatter the repour will be. Also make sure your repour wax isn't too hot. 180 is plenty.

OK I see. You have a deep sink hole in the center and that also makes the repour wax sink a lot when it cools. Try making your relief holes much wider. The more space the holes take up, the less of a sink hole you'll have in the center, and the flatter the repour will be. Also make sure your repour wax isn't too hot. 180 is plenty.

yes that is exactly what is happening,never happened before I have been using 1242 for 3 years now and this box (60 lbs) has ALL done this! I will try what you suggested, thanks