Scrub Preservative

OKay, so I am mostly into Candles and MP soap (still not a MP expert haha so that tells you my skill level) figured I would try a few easy BB things, like sugar scrubs and bath oils that didnt require a lot of ingredients and I could make in small batches. Tried a couple recipes on here and they turned out WONDERFUL (thanks so much guys)

My question is about preservatives, I have read a lot on here about which preservative to use in which product, etc and obviously see the benefits of using preservatives if selling BUT

I was looking on Etsy and when looking at Scrub and Oil ingedients I think only ONE out of about a million listings I looked at included a preservative in the ingredient list. And that one was all unnatural chemical type ingedients, nothing sounded like natural ingredients. Most of the other listings were just sugars (or salts), oils, FO, and color (if there were FO and color)

So does one just not have to list the preservative in the ingredients? Or what? Or are these people selling without preservative.

I also saw one lady who had at the bottom of her post a message that said this product has not been tested by the FDA so any results of application are (I am not sure how she worded it, I should have saved it) but basically it was a user beware type statement in not as scary words.

I am not sure what I am asking, I guess I am just confused and any input would be awesome to make my head stop realing. :)

Yes, you have to list a preservative if you use it and it is wise to use one when you are selling.

To learn about preservatives, do a search on this board as well as googling. There is plenty of information out there. You really should understand about this before you sell. Here is a start for you. It is a good thread with lots of useful information.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=199218#post199218

If the item doesn't contain water (e.g. if the scrub is just oil, sugar/salt, FO and color) it may be ok without preservative although if water is likely to be introduced into it (such as in the case of the scrub) then it is advisable to have a preservative in there. I don't know if those sellers on etsy you were looking at simply did not provide a full ingredient list for their product, or if they really weren't preserving them. I guess you could always contact them to ask, if you are interesting in buying something from them.

I am not too interested in buying things off of etsy, I have already bought a few things from local sellers because those are my direct competition for now (at craft shows and flea markets etc)

I was more looking to get an idea for price for quality of products, and was looking at ingredients and comparing them to what I was making and then comparing what people were charging. It was just out of curiosity.

I guess I was just baffled at the fact there were no preservatives listed in ALL of these scrubs that I was seeing, and I was kind of like, WELL Craftserver SAID (and I read this board and consider most of what is said like gospel haha). . . ha I think I got a bit of attitude in my head towards some of the Etsiers.

I may email one or two of the sellers and ask. Can't hurt anything.

I may email one or two of the sellers and ask. Can't hurt anything.

You could always phrase it like... "could you let me know how is it intended to be used? is it ok to take it to the shower where water might get in since I didn't see a preservative listed?"

I'll be interested in the response you get from the etsy-ers. I just can't imagine selling a scrub, especially a sugar scrub, sans preservative. You just KNOW water will get into it, if no other way than damp fingers scooping it out. BLECH!!! :o:eek: