Molding/Shaping Bath Bombs

What do you use to make a large round bath bomb? I've seen those presses, but they only make a bomb that's 2 ounces, which seems tiny. Is there anything I can use to make a big round bath bomb? What about other shapes? What kind of molds do you use? I've tried little candy molds, but they were difficult to get them out of the molds. I tried silicone molds too (in the shape of christmas trees) and those were even harder to get them out of. I had to wait until they were dried. Any suggestions on molds or techniques??

im a total bath bomb nut!! i like round bombs, but i cant really get my mixture packed into those christmas ornaments the way i like. they do work and make pretty nice size balls.

my pref. is a piece of pvc pipe and a wooden dowel, i put my mixture into the pipe..take the wooden dowel and pack that puppy about 3 or 4 times really hard, if i want different colors i put a tablespoon of 1 color pack it down lightly, tablespoon of another color pack it down, give it a little push with your wooden dowel and out it pops, you get a tablet shaped bomb but theyre pretty too and packed so firm mine NEVER crumble

its a really cheap way to get a good bath bomb press and pvc comes in small to large, you just gotta make sure you get a wooden dowel that fits into your pipe

THanks, I would have never thought of the Christmas ornament on my own! And the meatballer (called a bathbomb press?) from Kangaroo Blue is what I'm talking about--the large says it makes 2 ounce size bombs, and that's tiny! I'd like something bigger. The pipe method is a great idea, too, though. Especially with the examples I've seen! Thanks

THanks, I would have never thought of the Christmas ornament on my own! And the meatballer (called a bathbomb press?) from Kangaroo Blue is what I'm talking about--the large says it makes 2 ounce size bombs, and that's tiny! I'd like something bigger. The pipe method is a great idea, too, though. Especially with the examples I've seen! Thanks

You know a 2 oz ball can pack a lot of bathing goodies ;) I use the meatballer, have one monster bomb maker that probably makes equivalent to a tennis ball or bigger. Haven't used it yet though. You can get some silicone molds too ... it's just a matter of packing it all tightly.

I used to make the meatballer size and sold them in a two pack. Didn't sell nearly as well as my mega size (7.9-9 oz) so I discontinued them. I use an ornament. There are three tricks I have found...

1. get the right consistency in you mixture - damp sand.

2. pack it really tight.

3. tap the filled mold all around to release the mold, take top half off, gently turn over into your had and remove the other half.

HTH!

I use the clear ornament molds...I think they are 60mm...they make right at a 4 oz bomb. The trick is to overpack the mold and press hard together...NEVER twist. Give the filled mold a little tap on the counter, gently remove the top and then turn over carefully and release the bomb into the palm of your hand...

OMG! I need one of these. Err- the site says two dozen min.

I am off to search eBay. Where did you get yours?

I refuse to live without one of these, strictly for personal use. :drool:

I got mine from Synergy Scents when we went to the Texas Soapmaking convention last summer. Like I said, I have one, but I haven't used it. I want too, but, well I'd probably have to double my recipes and then figure out how to score them so there isn't a bubble disaster somewhere.

The one on Amazon is cheaper, but it doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee lol.

The PVC pipe method sounds interesting. I have used the 60mm clear ornament and they are a nice size but I didn't really know how to package them. I wrapped them and put them in a clear bag but they didn't look as professional as I would like. So I got the Mega Tube packaging from Kangaroo Blue and use their large meatballer. The bath bombs are a bit smaller but they package nicely in the Mega Tube. I think the smaller bombs work just as well in my tub, I don't have a huge one. Those using the clear plastic ornament, how do you package your? How are the PVC pipe Bath Bombs packaged? I guess if I got a PVC pipe that would make bombs that fit nicely in the Mega Tube I could vary the thickness so they are a bit bigger.

Thank you K~ U DA BOMB!! :D

One more question please, what is the diameter of the finished product? I must have one, but hmm- maybe I'll offer them for sale if I can find some nifty packaging for them.

Amazon doesn't give much info on it.

MA think the size of a baseball or tennis ball ... about the best description I can give ya.

Hell I'm still in the bomb making mode, maybe I'll do one and just see.

OMG!! :shocked2: Balls that size would be like a volcano in your bathtub!! :D

Sure would be fun to make though. Off to find me a monster~baller!! :laugh2: