Twist Theory...

In theory, hyper-twisting a wick would give it even greater circular melt pool mobility. Thus correcting the effect of curling and uneven burning.....WRONG.:shocked2:

The wick simply "freezes" into position and the gentle circular burn is foiled into a wad of wick that burns incorrectly.

Moral: Gentle twist is the way to go. :)

Hope this saves a few folks a few extra pours.

Great tip, LPENDA! :) I read here somewhere that the poster twisted until the wick began to twist back on itself - that seemed a little too much to me and it's difficult to get the wick to stay in that position anyway, so I give mine a certain number of twists after securing the wick in a bowtie. Works pretty well. It isn't perfect, but much improved over not twisting at all.

{For those who don't know what we're talking about, we are referring to the fact that wicks with a self-trimming posture (like CDs and CDNs) burn off-center so some folks twist the wicks after securing them in the container so that the wick will burn more evenly in a circle...}

Yep...that's the theory. Seems to help as long as it's gentle and not over-twisted.

We have tried many variations on the theme and found 3-5 twists to be the key. Keep in mind- these are our results and others may vary.

Another point, use LOTS of adhesive (we use hi-temp glue) as the torque will cause the wick to loosen if insufficient glue is used.

HTH!:rolleyes2

No, it will still bend to one side, but when twisted, the flame and the bend will move in a circle which will even out the melt pool.

I stick mine through a bowtie, then twist 10 half turns which results in a gentle, even twist - not too loose, not too tight. If the wick was secured well in the bowtie, it causes a little tension which helps to hold the bowtie in place against the lip of the container so I don't accidentally bump it and cause the wick to be off-center.

use LOTS of adhesive
A good adhesive is imperative! I use Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker from AutoZone (or other auto parts stores). I have never had it let go of a single wick tab and have only had two which failed to seal - one because I didn't distribute the stuff evenly and the other because the hole in the crimp leaked. Now I use plenty and when I squish it down on the container bottom, a little squishes out the crimp hole. No more moving wicktabs or seal failures. The wicks stop burning at the top of the wicktab as they are designed to do!

I have tried every other product I know of - glue dots, wick stickums, high-temp hot glue - and ALL of them failed to always hold the tab in place, especially during a powerburn. If that wick can get loose, even when the customer is not following burning instructions, it's a major safety hazard. Even ONE coming loose is too many for me! The failure of the seal is also important because if the burning wick can suck liquid wax from any source, whether underneath the base or through the crimp holes, it will continue to burn until it runs out of fuel, well below the top of the wicktab where it's supposed to self-extinguish.

Thanks, I will try this....now I have to go get the gasket sealer.....:undecided Never thought about that. I have had wicks come loose with the glue gun so I stopped using that and went back to wick stickums. It makes sense though cause that stuff is used on motor heads and they get HOT!!

tootie

OK, I have a question. This will obviously work in a container candle and in a pre-wicked pillar. I heard you Stella say that you use wick pins in your pillars. Would there be any way to get the wick twisted? I guess one could repour after wicking the cooled pillar, but when I tried that I had the wax run right through the hole that was there from the wick pin and it ruined my candle because it ran through the bottom which was actually the top of the candle. Maybe the pillar wick pin I got is too wide? It is definitely much bigger than the CSN 14 I use in my pillars, so the wax runs right through. I do like the idea of twisting the wicks a bit because they do burn off center due to their bending to one side. I was just curious if someone has a way to do this even if using wickpins.