Help looking for a site...

Guest ttmontes

Guest ttmontes

That helps you with oils that act alike in soaps some of these oils are so darned expensive to ship and to get them closer your paying an arm and a leg so just wanted to figure out if I could find a replacement oil chart or something of the sort Ive been on google and must be searching wrong or using the wrong terms..... Thanks so much in advanced:)

What do you mean replacement oil? Do you mean what oils can you swap out for others? I can only think of one (olive v rice bran) and I'm not really comfortable saying that is a sure thing. Plus any oil change would require a recalc of the lye amount required.

Soapcalc.com has some good reading on the subject - check out the oils quality tab. Another option is to just look at the fatty acid profile of every oil and decide for yourself. But even that is not a sure thing - just because the numbers look the same doesn't mean they result in the same thing.

Soaping is complex! And fun! And challenging! And I have less hair now then when I stared! And less $$$.

And yea shipping charges are rough. There are suggestions in various threads on how to source oils locally - like at restaurant supply places, even some restaurants will sell it...

Guest ttmontes
What do you mean replacement oil? Do you mean what oils can you swap out for others? I can only think of one (olive v rice bran) and I'm not really comfortable saying that is a sure thing. Plus any oil change would require a recalc of the lye amount required.

Soapcalc.com has some good reading on the subject - check out the oils quality tab. Another option is to just look at the fatty acid profile of every oil and decide for yourself. But even that is not a sure thing - just because the numbers look the same doesn't mean they result in the same thing.

Soaping is complex! And fun! And challenging! And I have less hair now then when I stared! And less $$$.

And yea shipping charges are rough. There are suggestions in various threads on how to source oils locally - like at restaurant supply places, even some restaurants will sell it...

Great Idea about the restaurant suppliers I think I know where one is in town. Yes swapping one oil for another I also know to recaulculate with the lye always always always :)!! Ill read on the soap calc. thanks so much!!