Turning A Profit, With High Shipping Costs

OverSoyed

I never do anything small scale... haha... and sometimes its my downfall. Sometimes variety is good... other times it kills me. For instance, my hubby is really into body jewelry. We started up a jewelry company, and stocked well over $25,000 in inventory. Unfortunately, we still have around $24,000 in inventory left. :undecided

I am going to start small with what I have, but am hoping to expand quite quickly.... so when that time comes, I want to have all my ducks in a row! :tiptoe:

Are you making ALL those jars that you listed in ALL those sizes?? That is expencive big time!!

Why not narrow it down to just a few jars and 2 sizes??

I do 9oz hex jars and 6oz tins (fundraisers only) and 4oz tins for wickless.

I am going to either add 7oz frosted tumblers or DROP the 9oz hex jars.

What I am saying is that is alot of inventory to have on hand and that is a large cost. But then again I dont know anything about your business so I may be way off base....:undecided

tootie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is that shipping is a big part of out cost. So how can China, even with wages at rock bottom. China has to build a plant, pay utilities, buy wax, FO, jars, wicks, lids, boxes and all. Then have it shipped to the docks, that has to cost something, put on a major ship to send here. Pay to have it unloaded, trucked to warehouse and stored....

How on earth can that be cheaper than paying an American, enough to support him/herself, to make candles or anything??? Our government is probably subsidizing them.

"The dollar fell below 100 yen during Asian trading Thursday, its weakest level against the Japanese currency in 12 years. The dollar also dropped to all-time lows against the euro." - AP

We borrow millions from them, to buy their cheap, toxic products... which makes us poor. It's a vicious cycle!

The point is that shipping is a big part of out cost. So how can China, even with wages at rock bottom. China has to build a plant, pay utilities, buy wax, FO, jars, wicks, lids, boxes and all. Then have it shipped to the docks, that has to cost something, put on a major ship to send here. Pay to have it unloaded, trucked to warehouse and stored....

How on earth can that be cheaper than paying an American, enough to support him/herself, to make candles or anything??? Our government is probably subsidizing them.

You need to narrow down your jar list take a good look at the big candle companies that do make big money at this, they carry 2 to 3 styles of regular jars and a few seasonal ones.

It is better to buy 2 to 3 sizes and be able to buy them in large quantity to get your prices down then to buy 12 different sizes at a few cases at a time which jacks your price up.

It jacks you price up in more than one way. You also a lot of times get a better deal on the jars if you buy 10 or more cases at a time.

You can still do seasonal stuff. If I want seasonal stuff I hit the dollars stores or Walmart. You can usually get a couple of specialty cases of jars pretty cheap. That will give you your variety.

You need to narrow down your jar list take a good look at the big candle companies that do make big money at this, they carry 2 to 3 styles of regular jars and a few seasonal ones.

It is better to buy 2 to 3 sizes and be able to buy them in large quantity to get your prices down then to buy 12 different sizes at a few cases at a time which jacks your price up.

It jacks you price up in more than one way. You also a lot of times get a better deal on the jars if you buy 10 or more cases at a time.

You can still do seasonal stuff. If I want seasonal stuff I hit the dollars stores or Walmart. You can usually get a couple of specialty cases of jars pretty cheap. That will give you your variety.

Thats what I was trying to say....you said it better though...:tiptoe:

tootie

I decided to cut down to 2 sizes in each jar category.

That is much more affordable and easier to deal with....I think.:cool2:

Good luck. I am on the left coast so i cant help ya with suppliers...

Patricia

Ok, admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread (bad me) but here's some suggestions.

Try local flea markets-sometimes you can find things and even in bulk.

Consider different types of suppliers-A candle supplier is not the end-all-be-all! A restaraunt supply store might have some of what you're looking for, glass jars are used in a lot of places.

Consider a jar-fill program-I started this immediately upon setting my price list. I offer a discount if a customer brings me a jar they want filled. This saves on me shopping for jars and/or paying to ship them and ensures that customers get what they want.

Craft Stores-It can't hurt to look. I browsed through my local craft store a few weeks ago and found some very darling little containers, they were even on clearance, 12 for $3 and they old about 1/4lb of wax.

Ok, admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread (bad me) but here's some suggestions.

Try local flea markets-sometimes you can find things and even in bulk.

Consider different types of suppliers-A candle supplier is not the end-all-be-all! A restaraunt supply store might have some of what you're looking for, glass jars are used in a lot of places.

Consider a jar-fill program-I started this immediately upon setting my price list. I offer a discount if a customer brings me a jar they want filled. This saves on me shopping for jars and/or paying to ship them and ensures that customers get what they want.

Craft Stores-It can't hurt to look. I browsed through my local craft store a few weeks ago and found some very darling little containers, they were even on clearance, 12 for $3 and they old about 1/4lb of wax.

How do you do your fill a jar program? I thought about it but figured by the time I tested my wax formula, scent and wicks for that one jar...I would be out a days (from testing) and product for the sale.

Can you explain how you do yours...for me it just didn't seem feasible to get a jar lets say 8 ounces....use 8 ounces of wax/scent/wick combo to test to see if I get a great throw and burn....then clean out it to refill it yet again for the customer.

Well, I wouldn't take in any crazy kind of jar, but as far as test burning goes, I never have to fill a container to it's max to test the throw/burn, a small amount of wax will give me that. The idea for me is to make whatever amount will fill that jar plus a little, take the small amount that extra and do a short/small test in the jar. I recycle/reuse a lot of things, If I buy pre-tabbed wicks and have pieces that are large enough to reuse after wicking something, I do. I've found for the most part that buying a longer wick isn't that much more expensive then a shorter wick and with longer wicks I can re-tab the excess and use it for pennies so wick cost isn't really an issue.

I've also found that my price per oz of wax to produce from the wax to the wick and everything in between is about $.30 and for the average 8oz container I charge $6 which offsets the cost of the container. So for a jar fill, I'd take no more then about $2 off which still puts me at about $.50 an oz and I'm still in the black.

As far as time is concerned, I can either spend the time shopping around for containers or testing wax from the comforts of home. I'd rather be at home!

It's still a fairly new program though, if it becomes too time-consuming, I may not continue it, but so far, I don't forsee any problems.

Oh...maybe I have been testing my candles wrong all these years. I have found that some candles will burn differently in the beginning then in the end. Maybe I have been doing something seriously wrong...hmmmm.

So you are saying just to test a small amount for the container and it should be fine? Wow, that should speed up the process a ton.

I could be the one doing it wrong as I only have a short time of doing this under my belt, but to date, I've never had a problem doing it this way. It's less waste/time testing. Remember that even in a smaller batch, you still have a beginning/middle/end, they're just shorter.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, I'm the first to admit that I'm still trying new things, seeing what works, and even making mistakes. So far the smaller test burn works for me. I've done it with soy, paraffin, and container wax with no problems. But that's me.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, I'm the first to admit that I'm still trying new things, seeing what works, and even making mistakes. So far the smaller test burn works for me. I've done it with soy, paraffin, and container wax with no problems. But that's me.

Good luck with your candle making. :cheesy2:

LOL Biz....you are bad.

Look, drusilla, I'll come right out and say it. How you're testing is flat ass wrong, and un-safe. I will guarantee you that how a wick burns at the top of a fully filled 8 oz. jar (for example) is entirely different than how it will burn at the bottom.

The process of testing is to guarantee that the wick you use burns properly AND safely from beginning to end. Starting at the end proves nothing, other that it might smell good. That jar could be a freakin' torch at the start, and you're process ensures that you will never know that. Diameter and height of the jars, narrowing necks and the related oxygen supplies all have huge impacts on the burn.

Again, just because it looks good with a few oz. burning in the bottom proves absolutely nothing! That is not testing. That is simply burning.

This is why I find it unrealistic to use untested, customer provided containers, or odd ball (single) flea market finds. It's just not economical to fill (to the top), burn, clean and refill, only to sell it for roughly the same price as a like size container.

LOL Biz....you are bad.

Look, drusilla, I'll come right out and say it. How you're testing is flat ass wrong, and un-safe. I will guarantee you that how a wick burns at the top of a fully filled 8 oz. jar (for example) is entirely different than how it will burn at the bottom.

The process of testing is to guarantee that the wick you use burns properly AND safely from beginning to end. Starting at the end proves nothing, other that it might smell good. That jar could be a freakin' torch at the start, and you're process ensures that you will never know that. Diameter and height of the jars, narrowing necks and the related oxygen supplies all have huge impacts on the burn.

Again, just because it looks good with a few oz. burning in the bottom proves absolutely nothing! That is not testing. That is simply burning.

This is why I find it unrealistic to use untested, customer provided containers, or odd ball (single) flea market finds. It's just not economical to fill (to the top), burn, clean and refill, only to sell it for roughly the same price as a like size container.

You are right. I will NOT recycle a jar I am not familure with. I do not mind recycling my tins though!! That works out GREAT for me and my customers.

Test burning is all about testing top to bottom and keeping careful notes.

tootie

Drusilla--

Hon, please don't take what Beth said as an attack on you. Maybe you aren't thinking that, but I got a sarcastic tone from your last post. We all try to help each other and just like you've got your ways, others have theirs--some are just more bold and don't beat around the bush when they've got an opinion that may differ from yours.

You mentioned yourself that you're new to candlemaking (YAY! It's totally addictive and so rewarding when you're making great candles). In any case, you don't have to change the way you test burn, but more research might show that it'd be wiser to do so. ;)

Btw, welcome to the board! It's really great here, I promise. :)

Ok now, this is getting kinda nasty. Beth, we all have different points of view, and I do not appreciate you trying to tell me that the was me and dru choose to do things is wrong.

We are not selling hundreds of candles at every chance we get. I do not consider this a business, this is my hobbie.... if I can set a votive or two (which I have tested 'top to bottom') to a coworker or two, so be it. It is not very economical to completly fill a large container, burn it day and night till you believe that it is perfect, then do I all over again. It is a waste of produce, of time, and not realistic for me who works a full time job, or for dru, who is a full time student.

IMHO, sometimes I have been attached like this on this site by some, that that saddens me, because most of the people here are not like this. But sometimes, people treat my posts like I am an ilresponcable business woman, not just a hobbie.

Now that dru have left the site, I do hope we can all be civil to each other again, as apposed to this rant. We all have different ways of doing things, and that is way makes this such a nice site to share ideas. If we all did this the exact same way, this site would be a bit useless, would it not?

Again, IMHO

It is not very economical to completly fill a large container, burn it day and night till you believe that it is perfect, then do I all over again. It is a waste of produce, of time, and not realistic for me who works a full time job, or for dru, who is a full time student.

Again, IMHO

I work 2 jobs, am a wife, mom and grandmother and help my husband with one of his businesses and make candles for my customers. I still find time to test candles. I may not get to test every day as I may not be home for a full 4-5 hours (awake that is). But the days I am...I got all those babies lit up.

Beth by no means was attacking. So please do not attack her - especially double team. That is totally unfair.

Well Beth...I've been on the site less then 24 hours. Thanks for the warm welcome!

WELCOME!! There is so much to be learned here... Everyone has different ideas and ways of doing things. Some things, like testing are done the same for the most part.

Take time and learn your craft well....your future reputation will thank you.

tootie