distilled water

Callmaker

To get distilled water, water is heated in a distillation column thereby creating vapor; the vapor is then captured, having left behind most impurities, forming the distillate or what we know as distilled water. I buy mine. HTH.

I made my first batch of soap with well water and I now have some areas that have like powder on them. It wipes right off, but it has to be from the water. We have a lot of magnesium in our water. I'm not risking not using distilled after seeing that.

I made my first batch of soap with well water and I now have some areas that have like powder on them. It wipes right off, but it has to be from the water. We have a lot of magnesium in our water. I'm not risking not using distilled after seeing that.

That sounds like ash and it can happen whenever regardless of the water you use. If you peaked at your soap after putting it to rest or did not cover your mold, you can get ash. It does not hurt the soap in any way (just cosmetic) and can often times, enhance the look. :wink2:

The funny thing is, I didn't peak at it. I put it to bed at 3 am and the next day unwrapped it when it was totally cool. This didn't happen until after a week and it's not on all the bars. Only like 4 out of like 16 have it. It's not spotty. It's like an area in the corner. It's not only any other bars but those 4. Still sound like ash? My castile I made next doesn't have it at all and I used distilled water with that one. I just automatically connected it to the well water.

I used a plastic mold and covered the top with saran wrap and wrapped in two towels. Didn't peak even once. I don't even know if they gelled or not. LOL

Wow I had no idea that was what it could be. I thought ash would be speckly or something. And, it's only on the underside. It's like on the corner of the 4 bars it's on. Just a filmy stuff. White powdery looking. Rubs right off. I thought it was the water. Well good to know what it is now. It's not bad at all, I just noticed it. No dos thankfully. I was nervous because I had it on cookie racks at first but put paper towels under it when someone mentioned I might want to just in case. :)

Well my plastic wrap wasn't actually touching the soap. There was an air layer in it so that might be it too. Now I know to let it touch after it's set up enough. :)

I sometimes use tap water that I let sit out and can still get ash. I've used distilled water and still get ash on occasion. But I have to admit that I've never used well water but have a friend that does since she lives on a well. She told me there was no rhyme or reason at times for her ash too.

Iwas using distilled water (cheap at Wallyworld ;) ) but then one day I wanted to soap and was out, so I just used my filtered water, and have never bought the distilled since. :)

i have done this too when i had a soap itch and no distilled water. but to answer the posters ?, i buy my distilled water

I buy distilled water from wally world because my water is horrible. I boil my distilled water before I use it with ANY of my BB recipes. I have seen several who don't. :undecided I am not taking any chances with my products. I am not a soap maker (yet) so I can't contribute to that side of it.