ISO - advice on MP soaps, gardeners, kitchen and mechanics

Wick'n'Wax

I want to make some soaps for gardeners, kitchen, and mechanics soap.

I've thought of a few things i.e. pumpice in the mechanics soap. The kitchen obviously needs something to cut nasty niffs and the gardeners needs to be moisturising.

I make mp soaps, and wondered if anyone had any tips advice. Is there a particular fo that cuts kitchen whiffs? or is good for old knarled heavy duty gardeners hands lol.

The mechanics needs to cut through grime too, obviously the pumice will help.

I usually use goatsmilk mp.

thanks xx

For gardeners soap you can use a mint fragrance and add dried mint leaves or cornmeal. Fine pumice is also good for a gardeners bar, as is some french green clay.

For a kitchen soap, dry, fine ground coffee and a coffee fragrance. I made one for holiday sales with cornmeal and a pumpkin cornbread FO. I've also made an anise EO fragranced kitchen soap with activated charcoal swirls.

These were all CP soap, but I'm sure they could be adapted to suit your MP soap.

From the archives:

http://www.candletech.com/archivedforum/.2817.html

Gardeners Soap

1 lb M&P goatsmilk base

1 - 2 Tablespoons white cornmeal

1 1/2 Tablespoons fine pumice

1/2 - 1 Tablespoon bentonite clay

1 Tablespoon of shea or mango butter (for moisturizing)

2 - 3 teaspoons of a citrus essential oil (orange, lemon, etc.) or one of each. Orange cuts the grime.

Melt base,

Stir to allow it to cool a bit,

Add scent,

Stir in cornmeal, pumice and clay continually until it gets to the

point where it will stay suspended in the soap. Pour into molds.

One of the most reliable and safe products I've ever seen for cleaning up really hard things to get off, like adhesive film, crayon, gum, etc., is Goo Gone and the product has citrus in it. http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx

That stuff even can remove permanant marker. When the stuff first was being sold, they played up the citrus part more in advertising. These days it's just a mention, but seeing as the stuff is non toxic and not a skin irritant, and can do what it does, makes me a believer in citrus power.

ooh thanks so much for your advice folks xx

lisa' date=' thats brill, I'll try that recipe. Just need to figure where to get bentonite clay and white cornmeal from ;)[/quote']

I happened across it when I was roaming the forums in search of M&P info, as I'm hoping to get into it. If you try that recipe, be sure to post and let us know how it turns out!

I can find white cornmeal next to the yellow cornmeal at the grocery store - it's in the same section as flour, sugar, things like that. And there's bound to be an online supplier of bentonite clay somewhere!

Cornstarch is totally different. You want the ground grain that you use to make corn muffins. The white one. http://www.ochef.com/1041.htm

Q:The British-American Cornmeal Conundrum

What is cornmeal known as in the UK and Ireland?

A: The British book we turn to first for help in minding the gap between your terms and our terms, Cooks' Ingredients, says what we call coarse cornmeal, you call polenta or maize meal. Finely ground cornmeal, it says, we just call cornmeal, but you call maize flour. (We actually often call finely ground cornmeal corn flour, but that creates confusion with your corn flour (see below).