Question about pour pots

Ok, I'm sure this is a dumb question. I have always poured my testers in 1 lb batches from a metal pour pot. I got a presto pot so I could pour larger batches. So today I put in all ingredients for my para/soy blend and melted, then tared scale and ladeled 16 oz in pyrex container and added dye and 1 oz fo but had wax leftover. This is correct right? What got me thinking was when I did everything in the metal pour pot, don't I end up with more wax since it melts to more than 16 oz? Seems like in the metal pour pot I would have less fo in the mixture than weighing out 16 oz and then adding fo. Am I having a brain fart?

I was confused about this too. No, 1 lb of melted wax will equal 20 oz of liquid measure to take up the space, but the weight will still be 1 pound if you put it on the scale. I was confused on that one too. Don't feel bad. ;)

So you have more wax in liquid measure, once the solid is melted, but it's still all going to weigh a pound in weight measure. :)

Weighing candle ingredients is the only way to be consistently accurate. Volume measurements (cups, etc.) are not as accurate as are weighed measurements. If you weighed your pour pot, tared, then added 16 oz. of wax and 1 oz. FO, you would end up with 17 ounces (WEIGHED ounces, not fluid ounces!) as Pam said. Just because a pour pot is called a "one pound" or "two pound" pot is NOT meant for you to use it as a measuring device - the rating means that the pot will hold one WEIGHED pound of wax, with a small amount of head room so as not to spill. Pour pots are not intended to be used as measuring devices - they are simply supposed to hold liquid wax from which one can pour easily.

1 lb of melted wax will equal 20 oz of liquid measure

Actually one pound of ALL waxes do NOT all measure exactly 20 fluid ounces when melted. Fluid ounces are a volume measurement, not a weight.

Duh oh me, yeah I always forget with soy it's 18 right? But fluid yes, volume. Stella knows all the right words! I was confused with this too. Just because it makes more of a higher number when it's melted in fluid oz's doesn't mean it's gotten any bigger in weight if that's what's confusing you. It confused me badly. LOL :)

I have to repeat all the time to myself...weight not fluid. Weight not fluid. You weigh the melted wax after tare off container on your scale. Don't measure it out in a liquid measuring cup. It is weird to think of a liquid as weight, but it's the same for the fo too. Weight. I recently learned even in soap making it's weight too. LOL ;)

It doesn't MATTER - weigh the wax!!! One WEIGHED pound of ANY wax, metal, feathers or manure will always equal 16 WEIGHED ounces.

Weight vs. volume.

Yes. Weight. Weight. Wieght. LOL Like I said, I don't understand why it's even out there. That confused me. :(

I put my wax in a plastic container to weigh it before adding it to the presto post. My question is.... okay it may sound stupid, anyway I need to add the weight of the container I am weighing my wax in to the total weight correct? Another words if my container weighs let's say 8.4 oz and I want a lb of wax then the scale should say 1 8.4oz. correct?

Kelsey

I put my wax in a plastic container to weigh it before adding it to the presto post. My question is.... okay it may sound stupid, anyway I need to add the weight of the container I am weighing my wax in to the total weight correct? Another words if my container weighs let's say 8.4 oz and I want a lb of wax then the scale should say 1 8.4oz. correct?

Kelsey

No worries - I'm asking what I think are stupid questions every day myself! I'm new to this too! But to answer your question, you have it correct. If your container weighs 5 ounces, and you add 16 ounces of wax to it, you will have 1 lb. and 5 ounces on the scale...or 21 ounces. I use a scale with a tare button - so this helps to do the math for me.

-Faith