calling all Palm Wax users

Hello all,

I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of you that use the CSN wicks from CS. I have tested and tested and I still do not get great burns with these wicks. I am using a 4" diameter jar, but the flames just always seem out of control no matter what I do. Has anyone had good success with CSN wicks?

I am now trying some FW's from Wicks Unlimited to see if I get better results. Hopefully these will work. :smiley2:

For my 16oz apothecary containers (4" diam) I usually use a CSN 9 double wicked. I occasionally have to wick up to two CSN 11's depending on the FO. I haven't had any problems with them though, the candles burn beautifully with minimal if any smoking or sooting, and the flame stays at just the right size.

I am using a 4" diameter jar

You are using one of the more difficult sizes to single wick for any wax or wick. Glass Glow has ingredients in it that change the way it burns from what one expects with pillar-type palm waxes that do not contain this (these) ingredient(s). Is the 4" jar you are using straight-sided or does it have "shoulders" or narrow toward the top? Makes a difference...

I still do not get great burns with these wicks

What does this mean? Do you have hangup? Soot? Smoking? Wick drowning? What is it about the burn that is unsatisfactory to you? What are you wanting the candle to do that it isn't doing?

Are you familiar with palm wax and its characteristics (MUCH different from soy-based or paraffin waxes!)? Are you testing your containers all the way to the end? Palm wax in general is a slow-burning wax (glass glow does burn more rapidly and hotter than does pillar palm wax). Because there is very little time between the liquid state and the solid state (ie. virtually no soft, plastic state), it tends to make a shell for this reason. In certain applications, it is best to allow a shell to remain rather than attempt to force the wax to burn completely (which means much hotter interior container temperatures). The wider the diameter of a palm wax candle, the longer it will take for the top to "catch up." I would not expect to see the wax burning off the sides of the container until round the halfway point, which is why it's so important to test to the very end of the jar.

I don't use CSN wicks, a special product that CandleScience had designed for their Glass Glow blend of palm wax - I use CDNs. Both wicks are very similar. It is predictable that I may have more difficulty wicking a 4" palm wax container candle because of the characteristics of the wax and the container.

I completely agree with stella, in my candles as well in order to keep the flame from getting too big you have to wick the candles so that they don't clean the sides of the container until they are 1/4 to almost 1/2 of the way down. It takes several burns in order for this too occur and they definitely don't burn all the way out to the edge of the container on the first burn. Palm wax is a whole different creature and can be very frustrating at times. There are also times when I choose the smaller wick and to leave a small amount of hangup on the container vs wicking up and having a flame that gets too hot and too big.

There are also times when I choose the smaller wick and to leave a small amount of hangup on the container vs wicking up and having a flame that gets too hot and too big.

Palm wax container candles are so PRETTY it seems a shame sometimes to wick to "clean" the sides of the container! For larger containers, I wick them deliberately to "tunnel" and leave a thin shell on the glass so that when the candle has burned al the way down, I can continue to enjoy the pretty candle by inserting a tea light or one of those new flickering LED tealights. Palm wax RULES!! :D

Palm wax container candles are so PRETTY it seems a shame sometimes to wick to "clean" the sides of the container! For larger containers, I wick them deliberately to "tunnel" and leave a thin shell on the glass so that when the candle has burned al the way down, I can continue to enjoy the pretty candle by inserting a tea light or one of those new flickering LED tealights. Palm wax RULES!! :D

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that :smiley2:

For my 16oz apothecary containers (4" diam) I usually use a CSN 9 double wicked. I occasionally have to wick up to two CSN 11's depending on the FO. I haven't had any problems with them though, the candles burn beautifully with minimal if any smoking or sooting, and the flame stays at just the right size.

How hot do your jars get using the CSN 9's or the 11's? When I have double wicked with the CSN 9's my jars get really hot to the touch and I don't like that.However,it does burn well and little to no smoking or sooting with them and I get a really nice clean burn. I have not had to wick up yet for any fo that I have used but may try wicking down on some to see if that will still work without the jars getting so hot to the touch.

Mike

How hot do your jars get using the CSN 9's or the 11's? When I have double wicked with the CSN 9's my jars get really hot to the touch and I don't like that.However,it does burn well and little to no smoking or sooting with them and I get a really nice clean burn. I have not had to wick up yet for any fo that I have used but may try wicking down on some to see if that will still work without the jars getting so hot to the touch.

Mike

It depends on the fragrance but most of my containers stay cool enough to still handle them while they are burning. Even though I do occasionally wick up to CSN 11's, it is really rare that I have to. In fact like I said before I'll choose to leave some hangup on the sides over wicking up in a candle just because there is such a fine line between having a candle that cleans the sides of the container and also having a candle that burns too hot with too large of a flame. I think that's really part of the key with palm wax. Stella has a really good idea to wick down the candles purposefully so that they tunnel and leave a shell. You get to have the beautiful crystallized shell to burn a t-light in and probably a candle that burns alot cooler.